Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Serendipitous Movie Sequence

Thursday night I watched D.J. Caruso's movie, "Two for the Money," with Al Pacino, Matthew McConaughey, and Rene Russo (whose husband, Dan Gilroy, wrote the screenplay). It's a riveting film based on Brandon Link's experience in the world of sports gambling. I loved it, but my wife doesn't like Matthew McConaughey (go figure) and wouldn't watch it. Pacino's performance as an almost reformed gambling addict is awesome.

Then last night we both watched Gillian Armstrong's "Oscar and Lucinda," Cate Blanchett's first film—and with Ralph Fiennes, no less. (And Tom Wilkinson and Ciaron Hinds.) Only partway through watching it, I was already convinced that this had to be one of my favorite films ever. And then, come to find out: the title characters are compulsive gamblers!

I mean, can a movie viewer hit on a more wonderful one-two combination!

No comments:

Post a Comment