Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, June 18, 2007

"Self-discovery"

The title is a quote from my masthead. Something I said on Thursday made me think of it: "I don't seem destined to any 'final discovery,' except in the sense that it will be the last thing I discover before I die."

As usual, my thoughts on this come in two's. First, have I unconsciously believed that at some point on my journey I would discover who I am in some "final" sense, or have I known that I will only continue in a process of discovering new, little things...until I die?

But (second) there's an assumption implicit in "[final] in the sense that it will be the last thing I discover before I die." The assumption seems to be that I won't have an "afterlife." I don't know that I won't. And, if I will have an afterlife, then what I discover after I die might indeed be a "final discovery"....

No comments:

Post a Comment