Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, January 18, 2009

No more room for hate?

This from a friend the weekend before the inauguration:
I am the daughter of civil rights workers from mostly Red1 Kinston, North Carolina. My grandparents and parents were sharecroppers and I am an engineer about to graduate with a PhD in education from UNC. I have voted in every presidential election and practically all local elections over the past twenty-eight years.

This
is as close as I will get to the inauguration stage, but today there were hundreds of people downtown. A kind white lady allowed many of us to use her cardboard Barack to take pictures; I met a black male selling Obama buttons/key chains to make ends meet; my batteries failed, and a caring Asian Indian woman gave me batteries. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s words ring true. America, we have no more room for hate.
_______________
  1. I think this is a reference to the area's population of native Americans ("red Indians"). –Moristotle

No comments:

Post a Comment