Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Enhancement to my movie listing

Today I decided to include with my movie ratings a link to the movie's Internet Movie Database entry. I usually consult the IMDb anyway for director's name or release year.
    The first movie for which I provide the link is "Laurel Canyon," which we viewed last night. Directed by Lisa Cholodenko, released in 2002, starring Frances McDormand, Christian Bale, Kate Beckinsale, Natascha McElhone, and Alessandro Nivola. All of that information and much more can be found at imdb.com.
    What a fine atmosphere of danger Cholodenko manages—real-life danger, not Hollywood-manufactured for the movies. I know which of the two women I hope the Christian Bale character goes to....

I am grateful to my neighbors Bill and Pamela, for lending us "Laurel Canyon" from their vast personal library of movies. About the only thing from my own scant library that I was able to lend them was "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover." Incredibly, Bill and Pamela had never even heard of Peter Greenaway. And Bill and I have read so many of the same books! For example, Uncommon Therapy (about the psychiatrist Milton Erickson) by Jay Haley and The Structure of Magic and other books about neuro-linquistic programming by psychologist Richard Bandler and linguist John Grinder. (We got to talking about NLP yesterday because Bill, who's NLP-certified, commented that the way I phrased something sounded as though I was familiar with NLP myself.)

To find my movie listing, first click on "[SIDEBAR TABLE OF CONTENTS]," in the masthead, then click on "Movies," in the right column.

No comments:

Post a Comment