Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday Voice

Passages

By Susan C. Price

Last week, baby-sitting my 4½-year-old granddaughter, I saw a new photobook, with a picture on the cover of her standing next to a boy named Declan that she had mentioned pointedly before. “His family has a beach house!”

Scene: The kids’ backyard. Granddaughter is swinging. Grandma stands by in case of problems. It is a sunny day. Grandma is 64½.
Grandma: So...is that your friend Declan on the front of the book of photos?

Granddaughter: Yes...,...it’s a secret, but when we grow up, Declan is gonna be my for real boyfriend-boyfriend!

Grandma: Cool! [silently: Oh my, her first crush!]
Granddaughter continues to swing. A few minutes go by.
Grandma: So, when you are older and he is your boyfriend-boyfriend,...what will you guys do, exactly?

Granddaughter: Well, we will probably get married [giggles, smiles], and he will come over and visit at my house, and i will visit at his house...and we will have wine.
Grandma goes home, and finds that her official Medicare card has just arrived in the mail.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Susan C. Price

Please comment

6 comments:

  1. I remember when I jointed AARP, "Time waits for no man/woman". Sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, it was a sweet moment and i am very lucky to have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as editor on the lookout for stories, sweet or otherwise, it was sweet for me that the moment prompted you to write it up and send it to me. I am grateful for that and ask that the next time you see your granddaughter you tell her "hi" from me, and hug her as well!
          It appears that my only grandchild will continue to be the only one, and has lived for all his twenty years in Bulgaria, so there has been no baby-sitting for this grandpa. I am in the process of interviewing him for the blog, however. <smile>

      Delete
  3. Great story! So is AARP worth it? Have not yet started reading their mailings, but the clock is ticking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I get to be the dissenter here. Not from Susan, she expressed the sweet irony of the moment perfectly.

      But from putting any trust in AARP. They are basically the front of an insurance business and a not particularly inexpensive mail order pharmacy. I cancelled my membership because of their support for the Republican crafted Medicare Part D drug policy, and support for the cuts to Social Security being booted around, but I had noted before then that most of their mailings, including a lot of the content of the newsletter were promoting some insurance product.

      In the end you are paying them a small fee to do what they would do anyway- lobby for their self interest, as opposed to the interest of most seniors. You don't get much from membership, and their insurance company will get the benefit.

      Delete
  4. Tom I'm not saying you are wrong maybe they think you are a Rep.(smile) The part "D" sucks but it was better than nothing and that was what we had. As far as I know AARP is tied to United Health Care Ins. If you are on Medicare all you are looking for is a part D and a supplement. The one thing that you need to be careful about is the companies selling Medicare policies. A lot of doctors will not take them. And that was much more of a rip off than Part "D"
    I carried my part D through Humana and my supplement through United Health. In Miss. you can call the State Ins. office and they helped me find the cheapest policies. There is no need to join AARP to use the ins.
    Costa Rica has a much better ins policy(smile)

    ReplyDelete