Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday Review: Trance

Tell me how it ends

By Morris Dean

I don't know how Trance ends. This slick, over-self-confident mistake of a film (2013, directed by Danny Boyle and starring James McAvoy, Vincent Cassel, and Rosario Dawson) dissolved into incoherence minutes before I checked with my wife and we agreed it was hopeless. It started out with the heist of a twenty-or-so-million-dollar Goya painting, which the insider Simon (McAvoy) "lost" and couldn't remember where he'd put it because of being hit in the head by fellow art thief Franck (Cassel) during the robbery, leading to their engaging hypnotherapist Elizabeth (Dawson)....It wasn't long into the "therapy" that the plot melted all over the screen like...what? Scrambled eggs being heated on a cold grill?
    We would have ejected the DVD sooner but we had both been assuming the other must be enjoying the film—or at least still feeling hopeful.
    Wrong!

    I don't know what the last thing was that my wife had enjoyed, but, truthfully, the only thing I'd enjoyed for fifteen minutes was the full frontal nude shot of Rosario Dawson coming out of the bathroom toward James McaAvoy, where she has just shaved her pudenda. (My wife suggested she had probably had "a Brazilian.")
    Next morning my wife said, "I guess James McAvoy must have signed on because he thought the script was interesting."
    "Or," I suggested, "he wanted to do that sex scene with Rosario Dawson?"
    "But they were only acting," she said.
    "I'm not so sure," I said. "I don't see how a man could act that with a woman with a body like hers."
    "You think they really did it?"
    "And Vincent Cassel, too, in his sex-scene with her," I said.
    "But if they were really doing it," my wife said, "wouldn't the other three art thieves have demanded a scene too? The set would have been chaotic."
    I said, "Maybe we should insert the DVD back into the player...."

Note of caution: I googled on reviews to find and share a few corroborating comments and was amazed to find much praise for this film. There was, however, The New Yorker's sentence: "The only perceptible purpose of the story is to pay homage to Dawson"!
    Or The New York Times's "There are times when it feels as if Boyle’s throwing everything at the screen...and the startling sight of a naked Ms. Dawson striding toward the camera as strategically shorn as a Renaissance nude—less because he wants to distract you from the big reveal than to obscure the material’s thinness." But its review praises much more than finds fault.
    So...perhaps you shouldn't take my thumbs-down as the last word about Trance, but check it out for yourself. Anyway, you want to see that worshipful, distracting shot of Dawson coming out of the bathroom, don't you?
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Comment box is located below

7 comments:

  1. While I find many of the New Yorker's reviews snarky, even when I agree, I can't see any problem with Boyle spending millions paying homage to Rosario Dawson. Better that than what he did for the London Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I have no evidence that homage had anything to do with the project. I suppose that Boyle imagined the witch's cauldron of amazing images and scenes would entertain enough paying customers to at least break even. And supposedly he (and, one hopes, the players and crew) had fun. At any rate, the actors and crew members all received a paycheck, unless they signed on for a percentage of any profits there might be.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll just go on the web and find the nude scene. That way I won't have the disappointment of sharing it with a crappy movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, not sure you can find a video of Dawson emerging, but I did find a still photo of her "Brazilian."

      Delete
  3. Just wonder if either you were so hypnotized by Dawson you didn't see anything else after or perhaps as my old mother use to do, saw the first twenty minutes then napped but woke at the final 20 minutes?! On saying that I think too many 'fans' of Danny Boyle or the actors will just rave greatness as it's them! I saw the trailer and thought - " what a load of pants"! 'Nuff said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, right you are; I was looking forward to the film because of McAvoy and Cassel. But their involvement failed to put me into a trance of general approval for this "mistake of a film."

      Delete