Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ask Wednesday: Chuck, why are you agnostic with respect to "God"?

Guessing at the inconclusive

By Chuck Smythe

Chuck, a couple of weeks ago, in our question to Susan C. Price ("What do you think about religion?"), we indicated that you’ve said you don’t know enough to go one way or the other, so we labeled you agnostic. Please tell us what that means for you. Why are you agnostic with respect to "God" and other religious beliefs?

You caught the essence of my position. A few additions:
  • Consider the number of true believers, and the number of their religions. Their mere existence shows that we humans make up religions that aren’t true, then believe in them passionately, all the time. The question is, is one of those religions an exception to this universal rule? I dunno. Best guess is “no,” but it is most certainly a mere guess. In any case, millions of devout believers cannot prove a thing.
  • I see no evidence in history or personal experience of divine intervention. This raises the possibility that God exists, and isn’t interested in us.
  • I’ve at least experimented with several of the Approved methods for getting in touch with the Deity, from the Lord’s Prayer to meditation. Nothing has ever happened, as far as I could tell. Of course, many of these techniques may require extended study to have any hope of working, so this is inconclusive.
  • One added point, particular to Christianity: the more I think about the concept of the redemption of sin, the stranger it seems.
And Susan writes about all this far more interestingly than I do.

Copyright © 2015 by Chuck Smythe

3 comments:

  1. Just on the point of sin, Chuck; it has amazed me how man decides what is sin and not. If a person believes God is all powerful, why would they think he/she needs their help to change things. With a wave of his/her hand they believe he flooded the world. Most of the so called sin in the world cannot be found in any religious writings. But in fact a lot of what we think of as a sin today was allowed and even encouraged by most religious writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every dominant religion I know of endorses the traditional mores of its culture. I have seen this to be true even of a Buddhist nation, with no deity to enlist to the cause.
    Both the Old Testament and the Koran go on about sin with all the fervor of a Southern Baptist preacher - but sin as defined by their originating cultures. Hence, for instance, the astonishing bloodthirstiness of both holy books.
    My puzzlement with Redemption isn't so much that it is about sin. Most religions market that. But even if we stipulate that there is a god that cares intently about our behavior, but wishes to forgive us our sins.... why in the name of all reason would she do it THAT way?? Yes, I've read my Golden Bough. I still don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humans have been discussing/arguing religions, who is right, who is wrong for centuries and will continue to argue long after the current, earthly residents have expired. Belive what you want, but keep it to yourself unless I ask you to convert/convince me my PERSONAL beliefs are incorrect. My friendship, with anyone, has nothing to do with their religious beliefs, unless they try to cram their beliefs down my throat! Easy, we are no longer friends. I do not, personally, care about the arguments until these arguments hurt others. Look at our present world and the millions of people killed in the name of some religion. Pitiful! If you believe in some diety, love one another, peace on earth, then why are we killing each other? People pick parts of their religion to justify their misdeeds. Ask me what I am and I will say, "I am an American". That's the only answer you'll receive. Try and push the subject and I'll introduce you to the colorful language I learned in the Air Force. I refuse to argue religion. I am not saying I am unwilling to learn about any religion, I just will not engage in right or wrongs. I wish the world felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete