Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, September 5, 2011

http://better-not-click-on-this.com/unwanted-ad-or-worse.html

UC Berkeley
Campanile
"I suspect," I wrote in my email reply, "that someone has taken over your contacts list (or your identity) and sent me the one-liner below, but perhaps this can be an occasion for us to re-establish contact?"
    The one-line email [nothing more than a web address] that came Friday afternoon had "bogus" written all over it. The friend from whose email address it purported to come would never have sent a web address without an explanation. And I don't click on such links from anyone, anyway.
    Within hours of my reply, I'd received a bona fide email from him—for the first time since I'd seen him (in 2006, he thinks). I remember the visit, but I can't remember why I had gone to California without my wife.
    And already we've exchanged two newsy emails, and my wife and I are making plans to get together with him next month in his new apartment in Berkeley.

We're looking forward to the visit, and would love to be going to see his wife, too. But I am sad to have to say that she died later the year I last saw him, and that was the reason I hadn't heard from him.
    He wasn't ready to type those particular words.

No comments:

Post a Comment