Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Goines On: King Kannabis

Click image for more vignettes
The third time Goines drove past the King Kannabis shop in Coos Bay, a fun thought arose and he didn’t restrain himself from emoting to his wife, “Hey, you know what. Oregon has legalized cannabis and we’re here in Coos Bay with our kids and their spouses, so we ought to all have some cannabis, don’t you think?”
    “No, ought not!” exclaimed Mrs. Goines. “You don’t know what adverse reactions there might be with your meds.”
    Goines agreed that he did not know. “Well, then, I know what: I’ll message my doctor and ask her!”
    “How would she know? I’m sure she hasn’t studied medications’ interactions with cannabis.”

    Goines shrugged. “Maybe not, but it would be great fun to ask her, just to see what she would say. Don’t you think?”
    Mrs. Goines didn’t counter his suggestion, but Goines knew her silence likely meant only that she knew he would go ahead and ask his doctor anyway, and if he were serious about the cannabis (Goines didn’t think he was – the thought was the thing), his doctor might be able to dissuade him….
    The whole family crew had lunch together at a seafood restaurant. Goines talked a lot, even announced this idea that they really should have some cannabis. Seeming to take him seriously, they all cautiously demurred.
    Goines sat directly across the table from his son and to the left of his son-in-law, who sat across from his wife, on her brother’s left. Both his son and his son-in-law were relatively quiet, compared to the three women and Goines. His daughter easily engaged across the male barrier with her mother and sister-in-law. Goines remarked on this to his son-in-law, “You are very reserved, and I don’t need to say this,” he said, now looking across at his son, “but I talk too much.”
    Only later did Goines realize that the two men’s non-responsive silence to his confession probably meant that they agreed.
    Goines messaged his primary care physician after they returned to their cabins, prefacing it with a note about his query’s urgency because they’d be in Oregon only until Friday. He didn’t let on that he probably wasn’t serious.
    Even though it was after-hours in North Carolina when Goines sent the message, his doctor replied before midnight (Eastern time), hours past the Goines’ bedtime. She said there were no problems so far as his meds were concerned, but “Please know cannabis affects everyone a bit differently.”
    Goines was more arrested by her opening sentence than by her cannabis information: “As usual, you always send the more unusual messages.” He grinned and replied with assurances that cannabis wasn’t going to happen, ending with probably a very unusual question for one’s doctor: “Have you tried cannabis?”
    More than 24 hours later, he still had no reply to that one.


Copyright © 2021 by Moristotle

6 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, Goines strikes again. Did you buy the weed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did who buy the wed? Goines (and his crew) did not, as I thought I had made clear in my careful crafting of the vignette.

      Delete
  2. Never have explored that rabbit hole. I tend to not enjoy when I don’t have control of my environment. Several opioid prescriptions have confirmed my need to be firmly planted on the ground. But I do like to watch airplanes and talk to pilots about their experiences above the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evidence that Goines never intended to have some weed at Coos Bay is the fact that the two MJ cigarets he tried in San Francisco many years ago did nothing for him. He was likely more interested in seeing what reaction he might stimulate from the members of his crew….

      Delete
  3. I spent about 50 years watching my butt over a little annual broadleaf weed that grows on the side of the road. I was heavily involved in the local trade back in the day, and never got caught for so much as a joint. Now, I can go to the old bank with my license and buy top quality weed at the drive thru. The IRONY flows like water. Best part is, I can walk there! I get some exercise into the bargain. I can't do the artificial stuff like vapes, glass, shatter, venti latte cafe extra shot of almond milk...no wait! Only the all natural stuff for this old hippie. It doesn't really help with my pain, but it helps me care less about it, focus on it less. It's my anxiety it helps the most. I was told that I had masked a life-long anxiety disorder by smoking pot most of my life. It never held me back, although it seemed it did a few others. Then again it seemed most of them had been on the road to nowhere to begin with. It didn't keep me from being relatively successful, and frankly it's a good time. Do try it if you want a new experience; do not do so in a car. A beer or a cocktail wouldn't go amiss, and you can probably buy it already rolled. Be prepared to sleep well, although there may be a period of mild exhilaration first, depending on the strain. Sativa=energy then a slow pleasant descent. Indica="in da couch", or "couch-lock" in old surfer terms. Prepare to sleep VERY well, after a pleasant euphoria. It is a wonderful experience, very healthy and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks…but no, thanks! And thanks for the colorful historical sketch.

      Delete