Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, July 18, 2020

More Than Enough

Detail from the collage
A collage of covers

By Moristotle

Vic Midyett emailed me on Wednesday afternoon this week that his and Shirley’s package to me had just been delivered at my front door, right on UPS’s schedule. The email arrived almost before we heard the deliveryman ring our doorbell. His big box contained a stretched canvas on which Shirley had painted a modified collage of book covers* from Moristotle & Co.’s Book Authors’ Corner.
With Jack Cover (1942 – 2014) on June 4, 2011
    When I first beheld the painting, I marveled at how well Shirley had rendered me, the way I was reveling in the shaded sun with my wife and a friend nine years ago, when we visited him on the deck of his home in North Raleigh.
    But something seemed strange to me, didn’t feel right: the absence of detail in the book covers, many of whose titles were hardly decipherable, and few of their details. I thought they deserved equal billing with that smiling editor.
24" x 36" (the ratio of a 6" x 9" paperback book)
    Vic assured me that Shirley always intended to render the book covers in an abstract way, to give them less billing than the image of me, whom she wished to credit for my contribution to the books.
    I remained unsure about “top billing,” so Vic had to reassure me further: “Morris, it is okay for you to take credit for your work. Neither of us feels that you take or give yourself the credit you deserve for the work you do.”
    I am grateful to Vic and Shirley for this sentiment, and I humbly accept Shirley’s painting in that spirit. I will treasure it, as I treasure their friendship.


*
Photographic mock-up of covers to be represented

Copyright © 2020 by Shirley Deane/Midyett, Vic Midyett, & Moristotle

6 comments:

  1. I for one agree with Vic. You deserve the center spot and much more, I for one would have never published a book if not for you. Thank you for all the hard work and your friendship over these many years,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear amigo. Working on your writings may have its “hard work” aspect, but mostly it’s marvelous fun.
          Both ways on the friendship.

      Delete
  2. Mo,

    Very nice to see to see a picture of Jack. And the painting is a wonderful homage to all your efforts for your friends. Well deserved.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia Barnett via MoristotleSaturday, July 18, 2020 at 11:33:00 AM EDT

    Mo,

    This is a lovely rendering! Good of the three of you also. I remember that deck well and fondly.

    Thia

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these loving responses is exactly what we both wanted for you, Morris. We are so happy for you. Be blessed. –Vic

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Shirley's abstractions - just a different style. But I too would like to be able to make out the titles and identify the objects (or at least an impression of what the objects are, as you can sometimes make out in impressionist art without sacrificing the hazy effect). Her rendering of you is great!

    ReplyDelete