Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Don't look grumpy

But, then, how does grumpy look?
Click to enlarge so you can read
some of the book titles
    Anyway, I did this self-portrait yesterday, with our new, digiscoping-ready Nikon Coolpix P100 camera. All we need now, to hook it up to the field scope, is a wide eyepiece, something I failed to order with the camera and the adapter.

Actually, the expression we should be seeing in the self-portrait is relief. I started out the day fasting for an upper endoscopy scheduled for about 9:30. And, though only vaguely aware of it at the time, I was in a shitty mood.
    But as soon as I was come to again from the procedure (which had involved light sedation to render me sleepy and amnesiac), I felt quite chipper—even before I'd had anything to break my fast, even including the two cups of cranberry-grape juice and two packets of graham crackers I was given a little while later. The sunny feeling made me realize that I had been fairly worried about the procedure, with its potential for finding that I, too, along with Christopher Hitchens, might be expected to die fairly soon of esophageal cancer.
    Not anytime soon, at any rate.
    So let's admire our relieved look.
_______________
Dwarf Grumpy
Here's how Walt Disney & Co. thought grumpy looked:

10 comments:

  1. I see a classic back there on the shelf that never got published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I was hoping you'd see that classic, which my bookshelf bears with honor.
        And have you read the new paragraphs I just added to today's post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, Steve, by the way, the wide eyepiece has now been ordered. Unfortunately, it's temporarily out of stock (at more than one potential supplier). We might not be digiscoping before the new year, but we're still hoping. Carolyn's located a young woodpecker in a tree about 75 yards from our back porch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get it soon. Looking forward to your wonderful new shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, thanks for assuming our photographs will be wonderful! The attachment device itself deserves a photograph, and I'll be sure to take one to reveal our setup when we have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Upper endoscopy, eh? Must say you do look QUITE chipper in the photo considering your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It may have been more of a day than I realized: I went to bed at seven last night, way too sleepy to watch even as fine a movie as the 1996 Best Foreign Film Kolya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure it was the medical misadventure or just the movie? I almost fell asleep reading the plot summary. Since I normally trust your usually excellent recommendations I will however put it on my list of movies to watch - when I am too old to ride, or run, or walk, or take photos out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Motomynd, you're sounding a bit grumpy there yourself, so I'm not sure that Kolya should be on your list. It likely doesn't have whatever it takes to lure an exercise devotee to sit on a couch for two hours.
        Myself, I was enjoying Kolya immensely, even as I was first starting to nod off (especially since Kolya plays my son's instrument, and even almost as beautifully as my son does).

    ReplyDelete