Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Open letter to my friends at the Democratic Party blog

Yesterday I wrote to my set of friends at the Democratic Party blog:
Hey, all of you guys and gal been doing okay? I haven't checked my Demo blog in weeks. I have been fairly active (on the subject of religion) lately on my main blog. As a sort of "spontaneous moment" a few weeks ago, I put up a very informal "religion survey" and was surprised and gratified to have two Muslims (so far) take it.

As you may have seen, I had read Sam Harris's The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation, and my reaction was both to become very suspicious of Islam and to let my own Christian beliefs get stirred and shaken up. As a whirlwind result, I've gone from doubtful Christian to agnostic non-Christian, to God-believing but Jesus-as-savior-rejecting Christian, to (at the moment) leaning toward Islam (as more accurately expressing my way of thinking and believing about spirituality; that way of thinking, by the way, is very well expressed by Maliha's long [fifth] comment [now yesterday] morning on my post titled "Grave second thoughts".... ; I commend her comment to you for what I think is a reliable, responsible representation of Islam).

However, I can't see ever converting to Islam formally. I very much dislike its outward trappings (and, of course, its still being associated with radical Islamism, however illegitimate Islam's hijacking by the Islamists might be. Part of my "whirlwind experience" (even before I read Harris) involved my being turned off by misguided, Bush-supporting Christian fundamentalists' "hijacking" Christianity. I decided that that was a very stupid reason for getting soured on Christianity, so maybe I shouldn't hold the suicide-bombers against Islam, whatever Harris says.

Anyway, it has been an interesting time for me. And, at the age of 64, your body stiff, your joints noisy, your sex-drive off, you kind of want such times!

2 comments:

  1. Me consulted a dear friend about your recent thoughts towards religion and tried me best to explain [read: translate] your thoughts and the commentary of the folks who responded to your recent inquiry. She is a Buddist and found your ideas interesting, but she felt that the idea of following the "one god" idea other worldly and with very little basis in making ones world copacetic with the real world around us. Her beliefs and strenghs derive from her ancestors. In short, it's her feeling that she is more connected to them and able to "converse" with them for their blood and genes are hers as well. She also mentioned that her sense of morality is defined not by the attainment of heavenly strictures but rather of living up to the honor of the memory of those who are directly responsible for her existence. She stated that she felt more ashamed of bad behavior and wrongdoing because what she does here on earth with those around her determines her progress towards becoming a pure spirt.

    Me particularly enjoyed the lenghty discussion that the two of us had and it is unfortunate that she could not speak with you directly. Me believes that you might just find it interesting to discuss your recent quries with a buddist.

    Respectfully,
    STOMP *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, esteemed Scary Monster, I am very grateful to have this Buddhist point of view added to the mix, even if second-hand. Though the Buddhist point of view has sort of been represented already, by Southern Writer, I much appreciate your friend's contribution.

    For your convenience (and for the record in this context), here's what Southern Writer said:

    [In answer to Question 1:] "Other. I'm more spiritual than religious. I like some things from the Buddhist, Hindu, and Christian faiths, but not all of it from any of them. I dislike organized religion in general."

    [And, to Question 2:] "I've studied most of the religions of the world and base my opinions on what I've learned. Buddhists and Hindus seem to be more passive, less 'in your face' about their beliefs. They don't go around knocking on your door, or corner you at cocktail parties and try to convert you to their way. Religion, or lack thereof, is a personal choice which should be private and respected. God and I are okay with each other, and I don't need anyone else's interference in that."

    And, though, I haven't said so, I too have studied Buddhist and Hindu texts, in a religion course in college, and I too was powerfully affected by them. Even anti-religionist, atheistical Sam Harris seems to swear by much of Buddhist and Hindu practice, and seems to base his own philosophy and science of spirituality on them. (He thinks that a more "scientifically based" practice of spirituality is to meditate on and study one's own consciousness.)

    Thanks again for this contribution.

    ReplyDelete