Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, November 25, 2007

The trouble with being Brad Pitt

"Tough loss last weekend," the heavy, fifties-something guy said to me familiarly yesterday as I followed my wife obediently down an aisle at one of our local up-scale food stores.
      "Why is that?" I said.
      "Well...the game," he said, a little flustered.
      "What game would that be?"
      "Uh, Harvard-Yale."
      "What about it?" I'd finally understood what he was talking about, if not why.
      "Harvard won," he declared.
      "So...?" I countered, rejecting his invitation to get with the stereotype.
      "Well, it was a big loss, you know."
      "You don't say. For whom?"
      "For Yalies!" he emphasized, his eyes flicking down uncertainly to the insignia on my dark blue fleece pullover.
      I paused a moment for emphasis. "Not to me."
      "Well, it is for most Yalies...." He trailed off as he followed his own wife down another aisle.
      In the checkout lane, I felt distinctly uneasy, even if I had only the vaguest idea why. I had been accosted in a sort of a way, made to feel vulnerable. The onus was on the other guy for that. But he was probably just reaching out for a little man-to-man bonding, some recognition that he was in on things. Why had I withheld it? The interchange had never become a conversation in which we might have revealed something personal about one another. I would like to have told him what I really thought about intercollegiate athletics (and professional sports generally). And I was now wondering where he had gone to college, what he did now, what his values were. Was he someone I could like? What he had said to me didn't necessarily prove that he thought college football was a big deal...Was I someone he could like?
      In the car, I told my wife what the guy and I had said to one another.
      "You baffled him," she said. "He probably concluded you bought your pullover at a thrift shop somewhere."

4 comments:

  1. HA! I think Mom is right, he probably concluded that there was NO WAY you had gone to Yale with THAT reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't believe it for a moment. I trust that this big, intrusive guy walked away blushing and saying to himself, "What an ass I was, assuming that all Yale graduates are interested in their sports teams. And he didn't ask me if I went to Harvard!...Maybe I shouldn't watch so much football...or drink so much beer...?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, it did occur to me this morning that perhaps he realized you were one of those INTELLECTUAL Yalies with no interest in sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you're on the right track! And, in my case, I even exaggerate disdain for sport to heighten the effect...<grin>

    If the heavyset chap watched me go through the daily newpaper, for example, he'd see how I turn up my nose at the sports section. And, if he shadowed me at work, he might see with what glee I decline Tar Heel football and basketball tickets when President Bowles has extras to hand out. (I feign dismay at being bothered by such trifles.) It is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete