Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So, where am I four days later?

On Saturday I clumped a whole lot of stuff into one post and, rather than feel embarrassed, I felt perhaps unjustifiably proud of having captured the topsy-turvy, chaotic quality of our life here on earth, forgetting that when it comes to blogs, readers usually prefer calm and focus.
    I've broken out the various topics of that post into separate ones, which I've published in the last few minutes: "World War II films recently viewed," "The man who mistook...," and "The Cove, in its own right."

As Saturday's post started, I began [last] week a sort of rodeo bull out of the chute, but by hot Thursday of a warmer week than usual I had slowed down to barely a trot.
    Had I overdone the exultant long walks in the growing heat of day? Or has the vision factor proven an inadequate explanation for my recent almost chronic fatigue?
    I still [at that time had] no results from the sleep study; my doctor is on vacation and she won't be back for another week. She had looked tired herself when I saw her the week before my night in the sleep lab.
    "There's always so much to do," she'd said. "I try to concentrate on each patient when I'm with them, but all of the time stuff is coming in and piling up. And my children need a mother, too."
    "Life is hard for all of us," I said, and touched her lightly on the shoulder as she left the exam room.

Yesterday, though, I got word from a nurse in my doctor's practice that the sleep study did seem to find a "mild" sleep disturbance, and the clinic recommends further study to see (apparently) whether the use of a mask providing continuous positive airway pressure would significantly improve the quality of my sleep.
    I have an appointment with my doctor to discuss the suggestion. I trust that the report from the lab is more informative than what what the nurse was seeing yesterday. For example, what kind of sleep disturbance do I seem to be suffering?
    In the meantime, I continue to feel fairly energetic, if not exactly like a bull out of the chute.

No comments:

Post a Comment