Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Laughter, too, as well as love and learning

Story behind photo
As a result of writing yesterday's post—or rather of dislodging its concluding joke ("It's probably because of all the meat they eat")—I have added "laughter" to Moristotle's masthead. Its tag used to read, "An ironic celebration of evolved life, love, and learning on Earth."
    Now the masthead says, "An ironic celebration of evolved life, love, laughter, and learning on Earth."

And how do we celebrate laughter?
    By more laughing, of course.
    Same as we properly celebrate love by loving, life by living, and learning by continuing to learn.
    Fortunately, the best learning comes from loving and living, especially when we can laugh about it.
_______________
Footnote: The photo initially published with this post came from a quick google, which netted a group of anonymous, mixed-race, but all young people. To me, at the time, it was a photo of laughing people. Nevertheless, I decided to replace the photo with my favorite one of myself laughing. I guess it could be titled, "Laughing Oldster."
    Here's the first photo I considered using. I didn't decide against it because the individual laughing isn't human. He (she?) is higher-animal enough for me. But somehow we can't be entirely sure that that is a laugh, we are that different from chimpanzees.

2 comments:

  1. The original picture looks like something concocted by Madison Avenue. Most lucrative demographic equals those who spend the most money equals young people having fun. In our culture, the young own laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, probably a Madison Avenue-concocted picture (and likely motivated as you speculate); I should have been more critical. I've made a note to be more critical in the future. This has been good, an instance of learning in action. I may be an oldster, but not too old to learn new tricks, and you're not too old to stimulate learning, for which I remain grateful.

    ReplyDelete