Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fourth Saturday’s Loneliest Liberal

Fog

By James Knudsen

All places have something that the locals talk about with a mixture of pride and begrudging respect. In the Lancaster/Palmdale region where I taught theatre at Antelope Valley College, it’s the wind. The locals will tell you that the Antlelope Valley Wind Festival runs January 1st thru December 31st. And I’d venture a guess that most tropic regions will insist they have rain like no other place on Earth. Okinawa could hurl down precipitation with the best of them during the monsoon season I spent there in 1985. But, I must give Chiang Mai, Thailand its due. There I saw the rain start the way it does in the movies; one second nothing and the next, as if someone had thrown a switch, a torrential downpour. I could go on – the cold of Russia, the streets of Paris, the crazies of New York, but I want to talk about my hometown, Tulare, California and what it does better than anywhere in the world. Fog.
    I lived in Los Angeles for over 20 years, and I lost track of how many times I had to correct someone who mistakenly called the “marine layer” we would get there most summer mornings, fog. That wasn’t fog. There may be a meteorological reason why it wasn’t fog but, that’s not the point. Fog is thick, impenetrable stuff that engulfs a town, a county, an entire valley, and it doesn’t go away by noon. Sometimes it doesn’t go away by three in the afternoon. Sometimes it just won’t go away. It’s there when you wake up. It’s there when you go to bed.
    When you’re a kindergartener it’s great fun. You run out into the middle of the playground and POOF, your classroom disappears. High school, if you’re a girl, with a perfectly coiffed head of hair, not so much. But generally, fog is not much of an issue for the youth. It’s actually a boon when they declare a “foggy day” schedule and you get to sleep in an extra hour. Of course, it took some doing to get that boon. An accident in December of 1977 involving a school bus and a tractor-trailer rig prompted a new policy to keep busses off the roads. Incidents like that sire the begrudging respect every valley resident has for the fog. It should also give those unfamiliar with our infamous cloud an idea of how bad it can get when you can’t see a semi-truck coming down the road.
    Tule fog is its official name. It occurs when air with high humidty, from recent rains, encounters temperatures cold enough to condense the moisture. It’s a cloud at ground level. High pressure, along with geographic features, traps this cloud in the bottom of the San Joaquin Valley, and there it remains until the region dries out or a weather system with some wind is able to mix the air enough to make it go away. If it’s not too thick, the sun can break through and thin it out. But, days can go by without meaningful sunshine. The only way to find it is to drive up into the mountains and out of the fog. From above, it’s a solid blanket of white, fluffy and bright. When you’re in it, it’s gray, gray, gray.

2005 Tule fog captured by NASA's Terra Satellite

Dense Tule fog in Bakersfield, California
(about 65 miles south of Tulare)

As a young Marine, I learned quickly that, for guys from the fly-over states, the only places in California that existed were Hollywood and San Francisco. And everybody went to the beach. But plenty of people have grown up in this part of California which doesn’t exist. I, like many of them, left for locales that were bigger, louder, and more colorful. I went to LA. Let’s add to that list at the top, the sunshine of LA, “Sunshine, year-round, 24/7, we never close.” It is lovely. But, I know that it can become ordinary. And all that sunshine, besides being bad for your skin, can make one a bit jaded. “Oh look, another perfect day.” (yawn) And I don’t think I ever developed a begrudging respect for weather that makes every day a vacation. Make no mistake, the gray is a hard taskmaster. It’s cold, unrelenting, and depressing. It probably contributes to the tendency for South Valley expats to describe their place of birth as dull and gray. But I remember plenty of color from my youth. And the fog will go away. There will be sunshine in spring and I’m going to appreciate it a little more this year.

Copyright © 2015 by James Knudsen

3 comments:

  1. James,
    I appreciated your comments on how personal moods are affected by persistent fog.

    Presently I live at the edge of the Bavarian Alps and at the end of the Inn River, that comes down from Austria and the Swiss Alps around St. Moritz. Every November, when the weather cools, the wet fields dry out and fill the valley and plains near the Alps with dense fog. It is a grey in grey scene which sours the mood.

    In my youth I was often downtrodden when I returned to my fogged-up village, back from my elementary school that was located in the plains, where we could occasionally see the sun.

    Today I remember this unpleasant feeling of being choked in the valley for months, vowing never to return. Now I can hop into the car in Novemer and drive up the mountains to a height of 1000 meters, and stand in the gleaming sun, which shines on a sea of clouds below. One can see brightly colored mountain peaks under a blue sky. It is a glorious feeling of liberty to escape the depressing dark.

    I also recalled an unusual experience in CA at the end of a day of tasting wines up the Napa Valley in early October, from Mondavi to Clos Pegase in Calistoga. One gets very thirsty tasting wines in more than a half dozen wineries.

    I decided to enjoy a beautiful evening on this sunny day on a peer in Bodega Bay, drinking beer and enjoying the sundown, in contrast to the dreadful gloom of Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds'.

    Passing Russian River, ascending the last coastal ridge, I finally expected a wonderful view of the Bay and wanted to identify the pub on the peer where much of the action in Hitchcock's movie took place.
    But on top of the ridge on this lovely, sunny day, looking down I could see nothing.

    Everything had been swallowed by a dense fog! With the car's gleaming headlights I slowly crept down to the bay, found an almost deserted pub on the peer, and ordered dinner and beer. I was told, it would take hours for the fog to dissdipate before I could return to Berkeley.

    It turned out to have been a great six hours, to be stuck in the fog and discover the beers of many CA micro-breweries, a wonderful surprise!

    Rolf

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
        I appreciated your comments on how personal moods are affected by persistent fog.
        Presently I live at the edge of the Bavarian Alps and at the end of the Inn River, that comes down from Austria and the Swiss Alps around St. Moritz. Every November, when the weather cools, the wet fields dry out and fill the valley and plains near the Alps with dense fog. It is a grey in grey scene which sours the mood.
        In my youth I was often downtrodden when I returned to my fogged-up village, back from my elementary school that was located in the plains, where we could occasionally see the sun.
        Today I remember this unpleasant feeling of being choked in the valley for months, vowing never to return. Now I can hop into the car in Novemer and drive up the mountains to a height of 1000 meters, and stand in the gleaming sun, which shines on a sea of clouds below. One can see brightly colored mountain peaks under a blue sky. It is a glorious feeling of liberty to escape the depressing dark.
        I also recalled an unusual experience in CA at the end of a day of tasting wines up the Napa Valley in early October, from Mondavi to Clos Pegase in Calistoga. One gets very thirsty tasting wines in more than a half dozen wineries.
        I decided to enjoy a beautiful evening on this sunny day on a peer in Bodega Bay, drinking beer and enjoying the sundown, in contrast to the dreadful gloom of Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds'.
        Passing Russian River, ascending the last coastal ridge, I finally expected a wonderful view of the Bay and wanted to identify the pub on the peer where much of the action in Hitchcock's movie took place. But on top of the ridge on this lovely, sunny day, looking down I could see nothing.
        Everything had been swallowed by a dense fog! With the car's gleaming headlights I slowly crept down to the bay, found an almost deserted pub on the peer, and ordered dinner and beer. I was told, it would take hours for the fog to dissdipate before I could return to Berkeley.
        It turned out to have been a great six hours, to be stuck in the fog and discover the beers of many CA micro-breweries, a wonderful surprise!
                Rolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. James,

    Odd our childhood impressions of Tule Fog were so different. My memory of it was as a beautiful, mysterious visitor that usually burned off before noon, leaving bright winter sun, only to return after dark. I remember a high school football game in which the players were utterly invisible from the stands, and passes disappeared into the murk.
    My view of it became less benign after I began to drive. A terrifying business; there were many mass wrecks out on U.S. 99. Perhaps the only good thing about the end of family Christmas gatherings is that I no longer have to drive around Tulare County in December fog.

    ReplyDelete