Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Puzzle (a sonnet)

By Eric Meub
 




 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
I read too much. My second husband used
to make inspections of my bedside drawer,
then catch me at the sink: You’re fifty-four
for God’s sake, Marianne, why start on Proust?


When I was younger, I conceived my brain
as full of jigsaw puzzle holes to fill:
covalent bonds, debates about Free Will,
a life of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

It’s been more irrepressible an urge
than curiosity, for beauties lurk
behind the chaos, and some masterwork
I know so well must finally emerge.

I can’t quite give it up, although my hands
are full of pieces, and the puzzle just expands.


Copyright © 2015 by Eric Meub
Eric Meub, architect, lives and practices in Pasadena. He is the adopted brother of the artist, Susan C. Price. They respect, in their different ways, the line.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting Eric. I believe my mind is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle also. However, I fear there are a lot of missing pieces. (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, this is one of your best! Congratulations.
    Covalent bonds, free will debate and Eleanore of Aquitaine, a wonderfully diverse and puzzling set of things.

    Rolf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I much admire the final line's employing the word "expand" to literally expand that line's syllable count from ten to twelve. This is as nice an instance of self-reference in verse as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ed, Rolf and Morris for your kind comments. And congratulations to Morris for not only noticing the final alexandrine, but discerning its intent as well. What wonderful readers!

    ReplyDelete