Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, July 2, 2006

Vocational Change (a sonnet)

Last year I voided the business blather,
Let go what the company calls profession:
The grind for promotion, the schizo stress on
The rotten rungs of the corporate ladder.

They flung my human skills like cannon fodder
Into product wars for market conquest and
I gave them free my overtime, no question,
Even brought their work home, for my own slaughter.

When people ask me now, What do you do?
I tell them that I loafe, invite my soul,
Court wind and sun, and in the garden woo
The muse that sings my child of Adam whole.
Now the only business that I pursue
Is to keep my number on the payroll.

[1987]

No comments:

Post a Comment