Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, February 23, 2012

"Up against the sky!"

The sky was above Sinjuin* Bautista, California.

Taken on my afternoon walk along the canyon road


Taken from our hosts' kitchen sink this morning
_______________
* If "Sinjin" is the way "St. John" is rendered (in English) when used as a name, then "Sinjuin" [SIN-win] for "San Juan"?
Sinjin is actually an attempt to represent phonetically the now rare name "St. John." As a given-name, "St. John" is sometimes pronounced as [SIN-jin] or [SIN-jun] in the UK. I presume this to be a relic of Norman-French origin (see also Sinclair for St. Claire). [Behind the Name]
    This came up because our Google Navigator directed us to "turn right onto Sinjin Canyon Road"—in the same voice that the Google droid will read a book aloud to you, highlighting each sentence visually as it proceeds....

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Steve, I've been wondering that too, my head almost still spinning from the flight home from San Francisco, which departed SFO at about 12:30 a.m. I've been collecting my energy and wits after more than a week in California eating too well, taking walks, watching several enjoyable movies (Paradise Road, The Lion in Winter, Bridesmaids, The Artist, The Rum Diary, and 88 Minutes.
          I've been taking photos off my cameras today (the Nikon D80 and Coolpix P300, and also my Motorola Droid smartphone). I have many, many "up against the sky" photos, including a surprisingly good hand-held, night-sky shot with the Coolpix. (At least, it looks good on the camera monitor....)
          Lots of shots at Filoli Gardens (including interiors with the "party/indoor" setting on the Coolpix), and in a couple of pleasant and beautifully decorated shops in Pescadero (also taken with indoor setting).
          Was going to take my digiscoping equipment, but decided I needed to have made better arrangements for traveling with it (and especially with the tripod).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the brief update. Looking forward to seeing some of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just getting back up to speed here so I am starting first of the month and working forward. I will apologize in advance if I am repeating a question - but where are those photos? Since I am planning a move to the West (Best?) Coast within the next five years I am VERY interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where they are, and they're just not here yet! Sorry about that. They'll likely make you wish to live in the Salinas Valley and round about Monterrey....

      Delete
  4. Now I want to see them even more! We are tentatively targeting the region centered around San Luis Obispo - basically the realm between Salinas and Goleta - as our future home. It is just a matter of narrowing a bunch of great choices...and figuring out how to afford to live there. At this stage we are wondering if everyone who lives well there does so by excelling at high tech, by selling hit screenplays and/or novels, or perhaps by robbing banks.

    ReplyDelete