Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Morris Dean to announce officially later today

It was a difficult but quick decision
No, not that he will not be a candidate for President of the United States. Morris will today notify the appropriate officials at his place of employment that he plans to retire effective this May 1, a year earlier than he had previously been anticipating. Moristotle has been authorized to say so, unofficially. Here, now.
    Details later.

8:43 p.m. Now is later. In my own voice now.
    HR and my supervisor have been notified and tomorrow I begin to complete the paperwork that needs to be submitted (of which there seems to be a huge amount).
    For several months I've been committed to a retirement date of May 1, 2013, and that felt good. I didn't anticipate that making the date official (by involving HR) would make me giddy with a sense of relief and lightness.
    A fellow van commuter, a dishy blonde in her mid twenties, said, "God, I wish I could retire!"
    I said, "Honey, you've got a few years to go. I've been in the 'work force' [a term I can't quite take seriously, it so demeans the human spirit somehow] for forty-five years."
    Eighty-nine days to go. And counting.

Added February 3:

5 comments:

  1. As much as I was hoping you were announcing as a viable presidential candidate at the head of your own party, I am equally thrilled you will instead be at the head table of a retirement party. Congratulations to you!

    In my new role as blog curmudgeon I feel the need to add the following - Let's never forget the definition of retirement from a wife's perspective: "Twice the husband, half the income."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And good on you, too, my dear Steve, who, about six years my junior, nevertheless retired years before I'm doing! You are The Man!
        Motomynd, I can't tell you how delighted Moristotle is to have a sort of staff curmudgeon. It takes so much weight off his shoulders.
        Mention of parties reminds me of a wise saying a commute friend told me today (sort of her motto): "Have your own party." Part of its significance might be, "Do your own thing." But the kernal idea I take from it is to provide your own strokes and don't depend on other people to approve of you, like you, say "Thank you," congratulate you, and so on. Be your own inward light sort of thing. Be able to generate your own moods, sense of happiness, contentment. Good thoughts heading into retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only good thoughts heading into retirement but good thoughts to live by way earlier in the game.

    ReplyDelete