Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sunday Review: In Our Nature

Unparking

By Morris Dean

My wife tends to be skeptical of the DVDs that I borrow from the library "on speculation"—I'll borrow anything the library has if it doesn't seem to be about chainsaw murders, doesn't seem to be a sci-fi, horror, or teen-romance movie, isn't animated or CGI-heavy, and isn't a smaltzy movie based on another Nicholas Sparks novel. If it meets this test, why not give it a try?
    True enough, a fair portion of these "spec borrows" are disappointments, which I usually recognize after a very few minutes. Sometimes, of course, we both watch the whole thing, and only then ask each other, "Why did we watch that?"
    So, my wife is skeptical for good reason. Before I put the DVD in Friday night for In Our Nature (2102, Brian Savelson), she made me read the blurb on the container to her:

When Brooklynite Seth (Zach Gilford, Friday Night Lights) takes his girlfriend Andie (Jena Malone, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire) to his family's weekend house in upstate New York for a romantic getaway, they are unexpectedly joined by Seth's estranged father, Gil (John Slattery, Mad Men), and his new girlfriend, Vicky (Gabrielle Union, 10 Things I Hate about You). The women negotiate emotional mindfields to persuade father and son to share the house for the first time since summer vacations of Seth's childhood. Unspoken grudges slowly surface during a weekend of vegan dinners, spilt maple syrup, and encounters with the great outdoors. While relationships old and new are tested, the group discovers that bonds of family come in unexpected forms...IN OUR NATURE is a candid, carefully observed portrait of our closest relationships.
    My wife hmphed skeptically.
    I retorted, not entirely facetiously—in fact, I was fairly hopeful: "But doesn't that sound wonderful!"
    She grudgingly agreed to start watching it with me, so I popped it into the Blu-ray player.


In Our Nature opens with Seth trying to extricate the Subaru station wagon he and Andie will travel in to upstate New York from a very tight parking spot—about six inches from the car in front and the same from the car in back, the camera recording the whole thing in one take, from the same fixed position. I didn't think to count how many back-and-forths it took Seth to get out, but it seemed a dozen or more, each one of course involving a minor collision with the car forward or aft. I expected the Subaru at some point to become wedged between the other cars, on the theory that his car's diagonal dimension (from front right corner to back left corner) would eat up the initial six inches fore and aft. But it didn't; Seth got them out, and off they went....
    It might have been about there that my wife started showing unmistakable signs of dissatisfaction. Or maybe it was after a few minutes of Seth and Andie's road conversation about the weekend, why he'd never even told her about there being a weekend house, even though (we learn later) they've been together for about two years, something about her mother's not going to get better....
    And if not there, then at some point soon thereafter—perhaps when they drive up the long driveway to the idyllic house and you shudder at the possibility that this will be a slasher movie after all—my wife did say she didn't want to watch it.
    "Oh, all right," I said, "let's watch something else; I can continue watching this later."
    "No," she said, "go ahead and watch it," and she put her head down into the Jesse Stone novel she had been reading.
    It always makes me feel a little anxious to continue watching alone—there might be recriminations later—but I said, "Okay," and continued watching, not sure at all that I wouldn't come to share her aversion at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later—that question, "Why did we watch that?," is painful....


...The movie never became offputting. Its action really was carefully observed portraiture of real relationships, both the old ones between father Gil and son Seth, Gil and Vicky, and Seth and Andie, and the new ones between Andie and Vicky, Seth and Vicky, and Andie and Gil.
    The action around eating—whether "vegan" wasn't the same as "vegetarian," whether butter wasn't really an animal product, the pint of ice cream Gil secretly takes outside one evening and shares with Seth, Seth's preparing a vegan meal and Andie's cutting herself so that she has to ask Gil to go to the kitchen and help Seth—is perfect.

    The great outdoors may be limited to a small pond on the property and Seth's boyhood tree house, but it seems great and scary to city-girl Vicky, who has to be coaxed into a kayak and into ascending to the tree house...and prevented from getting into a car and speeding off when a bear enters the house following the scent of vegan leftovers and spilled maple syrup. Perfect.
    Not perfect was the sound-recording, which often failed to record dialogue audibly. Plus, the DVD had no options for subtitles. My wife and I routinely turn on English or English SDH subtitles; we don't find them distracting and we value their ensuring that we "don't miss anything." I sorely missed subtitles in this movie.
    The estrangement between Seth and his father is deep, and the thawing it seems to undergo during the weekend is hopeful, if not assured—no more assured than that Seth and Andie will remain together, or Gil and Vicky. They may, or they may not, decide to maneuver themselves from the spots they're currently parked in, or to adjust their positions in them. But you care.
    Or you might not care, if you prefer to read a Jesse Stone novel.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean
Please comment

25 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting and I'm putting it on my watch list to remember to see it. Thanks Uncle
    Mo !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a date flick, the kind you hate, but you know she will love. I'm out of that stage--give me a Jesse Stone novel anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, "date flick"—interesting concept. Did you go to many of those back when you were in that stage, and did it pay off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that as long as you give a woman what she wants life is a lot easier. I have an ex-wife that still speaks highly of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...you're acknowledging that you sat through quite a few of those "date flicks"....I can hear your ex-wife extolling you now: "Ed was extraordinarily giving. I couldn't tell you how many relationship movies he sat through with me, even though I knew he was just pretending to like them, because he loved me so much. Not many chivalrous men like that around anymore. I can't forgive myself for losing him."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, not quiet that deep, I've always been somewhat of an ass. But if your wife asks you to pick up a movie and you have First Blood in one hand and Peyton Place in the other, only a fool would go home with First Blood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you combined "weekend house in the woods" and "vegan" I had to read the review, and thought the movie might possibly be worth watching. "Its action really was carefully observed portraiture of real relationships" sounded promising, but the action and the relationships you describe make me wonder: "Do you mean 'real' as in real life, or 'real' as it is typically over-imagined and over-dramatized by people who have a grasp of 'real' only as they have watched it portrayed on TV and in movies?"

    Kono, as for choosing between First Blood or Peyton Place to set up a great evening with wife or girlfriend, I would have thought you the type to just skip the movie entirely and get on with delivering the great evening. That from the perspective of someone who doesn't own a TV and on average watches only two to three movies a year, but greatly enjoys evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Paul, I of course mean real-life real, thank you very much for yet another of your friendly challenges to my integrity.
          And let me raise this glass in recognition of yet another mention of your remarkable TV- and movie-free life.

      Delete
    2. Morris, your reviews help take the place of the one show I did watch regularly back when I owned a TV: "Siskel & Ebert." Even though I hardly ever went to movies even then, the show appealed to me at the same level as watching a PBS documentary about some distant locale. Both were about topics foreign to me, so I felt I was learning something. Just as I learn something reading your movie reviews today.

      Delete
  8. You noticed I said wife. Before marriage, I found if you are able to cook a good meal, a fireplace, and nice wine would beat a movie every time. And always follow up with flowers the next day.
    Also, when she says, "I don't care, you go a head and choose." Believe she cares.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You remind me how fortunate I am to have a wife who shares my disdain for TV and movies, and greatly prefers to put evenings to much better use. And who has absolute contempt for cut flowers in general and roses and Valentine's Day in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There you are back to the wife. However, in defense of the others and myself who do not share your disdain, I wonder how well you would cope if after returning from one of your trips, in the living room is a 52' Flat-screen and you are informed there are three shows,that she just has to watch. (People and taste change). We lived on a farm for 14 years, loved it but we would never do it again.
    You would have loved the sixties, where the only TV you watched was when you were stoned. And a joint and a cheap bottle of wine would get you laid.(Peace my brother, smiley face.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last shows my wife just had to watch, and we therefore watched together, were extended series she discovered on Hulu last year. The first one was about two guys riding around the world on motorcycles, the second was about them riding motorcycles from John O'Groats in Northern Scotland to Cape Town, South Africa. Both were filled with real-life, real-world action. In case you might be interested here is a link to more information: http://www.longwayround.com/journeys.htm

    'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' was the only movie she cared enough about to bother to go see at a theater last year. I would be absolutely thrilled to come home exhausted from a trip and get to watch either or all of those on a 52-inch flat screen.

    A lame imitation of your '60s hit my hometown in the early '70s, when I was in high school. We were strong on Earth Day but weak on war protests. A couple of our favorite parks had a bluish/purplish haze that hung over them on Friday and Saturday nights and they attracted so many cars the police came out and directed traffic. (The Frisbee golf courses are still there, but if you lit a joint at either of them today you would be pinned under a SWAT team before you took the first toke, but that is another story.) Back then we guys were of course looking for one thing, which we could readily find with any number of "stoner chicks" as we called them. Unfortunately we also found them boring, lacking in energy and endurance, and always undecided about just about everything. So we did the same as all other like-minded guys seeking more enthusiastic, fit and decisive teen girls: we started going to church and hanging out with the cheerleader crowd.

    Why people still think guys "get religious" in their teens and get corrupted in college is beyond me, because it was not religion they were chasing in their teens. To quote a line from 'Top Gun' the movie, church is a "target-rich environment" that guys learn is the best place to be between age 14 and college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Target rich environment..." How cynical. How despicable. How true. :>)

      Delete
    2. I made my trip to Boystown at age 14. I won't call it church, but you heard a lot of "Oh God" goin on.

      Delete
    3. Chuck, ironic that if churches really wanted to promote teen abstinence, they would ban teens from going to church.

      Kono, there was some sort of off-color popular saying along those lines way back when, but I have forgotten it - probably for the betterment of us all.

      Delete
    4. "What do atheists moan during sex?"

      Delete
    5. Chuck, that sounds like the opening line of a "knock-knock" joke, so I'll play the straight man and say, "I don't know, what do they moan?"

      Delete
    6. Oops. The question was the joke. I was speculating on which old joke Moto had in mind.

      Delete
  12. I saw both of the motorcycle shows my wife and I really enjoyed them. War Protest---if that had not been were the girl were I doubt there would have been much to it.
    I also found the Republican Ladies easier---good girls love bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Republican "Ladies" were good girls? You said that without a smiley face so we had to wonder if you were serious?

      Delete
  13. They thought of themselves as that. Having a joint and a roll in the hay with a hippie(anyone with long hair) was their protest against daddy. Most of the girls in the war protest movement were very educated and determined woman. If you were looking for a debate you better have your shit together or they would eat your lunch. Also, they were picky about who they got in bed with. These were not the stoners as you called them. Most of those people were just lost souls waiting to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't any stoners to speak of till my grad school days. Lots of girls defying daddy, though.

      Delete
  14. Golly, the conversation here has gotten so delightful, I'm even gladder now that I wrote this review than I was the moment I finished it and realized that writing movie reviews is possibly the most enjoyable writing assignment I take on for this blog, even including writing the occasional sestina. I've already written next week's review—in case Jonathan Price doesn't send me one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe the pill was the greatest thing that ever happened for human relations. At least it has my vote.

    ReplyDelete