Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thor's Day: Trinity

Lego churches
Three churches

By Morris Dean

Because it was Sunday, our rendezvous with my wife's cousin and his family was going to be at their Church of Christ a few miles south of Baltimore. To get there by 1 p.m. from where we live , we got up at 3:30 and left the house at about 5:05. We had been making good time when I took the wheel for another turn at driving, so it looked as though we were going to get there on time despite the growing apprehension I was feeling at the thought of having to darken the doorway of a hard-core Christian church. For surely they weren't just going to come out into the parking lot and we all just drive off together. We were probably going to have to go in and mill around for a while, especially since it had been about ten years since we'd been up to see them.
    I parked at about 12:45, and we sat for a while looking at people coming out. No recognizable cousins emerged, so my wife called him. He came out, we got out of our car and went over to greet him, then followed him back into the vestibule, which was jam-packed with adults and children, white, black, brown, and yellow—a promising cross-section of humanity.
    Not too bad, I was already thinking and feeling, just people, parents, grandparents, and children. Great grandparents, in fact, for some of the great grandchildren were my wife's cousin's. I fell easily into bantering mode, and no one said anything I caught about religion or anything remotely religious...until my wife's cousin informed us that his son to whose house we had been going to proceed for lunch (or Sunday dinner) had "had to go over to Washington to participate in a Tea Party demonstration." This was the weekend before the resolution of the government shutdown, and, as everyone who was following Congress knew, things had become very religious indeed.
    A church that nourishes Tea Party activism seems to me to be perverting the humanitarian spirit that has informed the best traditions of the Christian Church.


In Baltimore the next morning, after spending the preceding afternoon with the cousins, who are very nice people you wouldn't suspect of far-right sympathies so long as you talked about family roots in Indiana and whatever happened to this relative or that, we awoke to a slightly overcast morning at Henderson's Wharf. If we could have opened a window in our ground-floor room, we would have been able to step right onto a boardwalk along the harbor and (though we didn't know it at the time) walk several miles along the harbor, if you counted up the miles in both directions.
Our first sighting of the spires
    Because we had to exit by the Inn's front door, the prospect eastward beckoned, so after breakfast we set out that way for a walk. After not many turns we saw some vaguely church-looking gold spires in the distance and I guessed it was an Eastern orthodox church. "Or maybe Russian," my wife offered. "I wonder how far it is," I said.
    Turned out it wasn't very far, less than a mile anyway. As we approached it up a street from near the water that we could see seemed to lead to it, the gold globules shone and I took some pictures.

Still several blocks away, I reckoned
Remembering the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Eastern Orthodox Sofia, I was imagining a huge edifice and expected to discover that it was still several blocks away until we passed an intervening building and there it was, less than a block away and of modest proportions.
But only one more block and there it was
St. Michael Ukranian Catholic Church! My wife was very close to right.
The church was surrounded by a metal fence, all gates padlocked;
this was as close as I could get
    And what was that prominently named on the last line of its bulletin board?
Cropped (I was no closer to this than to the other sign)
    Pyrohy! That sounded so familiar, I thought of something edible with a similar name in Bulgaria. Perogie? Indeed, we learned later from a building contractor engaged on a project nearby, it is indeed food. "I always buy a dozen," he said enthusiastically. He was Ukranian, he said. (Later I learned that pyrohy is plural for pirog or phyih, and here's a photo from Wikipedia.)
Fish pirog
    A community gathering place, a place to eat and socialize and make community arrangements—perhaps its primary function, and arguably more important than anything theological.

On the third day, so help me, I found myself looking for yet another church. The writing spirit in me sought a trinity to serve a column that my muse was already working on.
    Once again, one presented itself as nearly the first order of the day. We were walking along So. Ann Street (which I was even mis-reading as Saint Ann Street), when we realized that the tall brick building we were walking by seemed—by its spire we had to crane our necks to see—to be a church. Here's an aerial photo, from 2006 or earlier (below), of its whole block [for history, see "Holy Mess: The Battle over St. Stanislaus," posted by Laura Laing, June 7, 2006].

    And then I saw the see-through image on the front door (inset photo above right). A physical fitness enterprise might have adopted "Sanctuary" for its official name simply because a fine church building came on the real estate market. But I think it more likely (or I would prefer to believe) that its proprietors had a spiritual bent that tended toward the natural rather than the supernatural and had named their business "Sanctuary Body Works" from the get-go, the former St. Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Church's coming on the market being a lucky happenstance. Providential, purely metaphorically speaking.
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Morris Dean

Comment box is located below

6 comments:

  1. My wife has a sister living in the hill country north of Nashville. They too belong to Church of Christ. Like you say, very nice people, as long as you limit your conversation to family events. I have visited one time and told Janie if we see them again, it will be where we all have to stay in a Motel. I felt very uneasy in their company---have a hard time watching what I say. Interesting trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife's cousin's family had a tragedy about ten years ago that we learned more details about on this trip—in fact, learned some details that contradict the earlier account. The circumstances are rich in implications as to what contributed to the loss, who might be held to blame, extenuating circumstances, mitigating circumstances, ulterior motives, self-defensiveness, projection of guilt onto another, etc. I hope to get around to writing a short story about it....

      Delete
    2. I wasn't finished yet, but clicked "Publish" prematurely. I never felt uneasy about watching what I would say—I might have years ago, when my lips might get away from my reflection, but not now when I am able to remain silent and keep my ears open. I don't even think I was uneasy about what THEY might say next. In fact, the only other thing, Tea-Party-wise, that came up was a remark about Obama that the cousin's wife made. It was one of those coded remarks that I think we'd have to have shared her mindset to know what she actually meant to be saying. We both just stared at her, and nothing more was said along those lines. I imagine that the expression on her face (and especially in her eye) was one of some sort of self-righteous indignation against the President, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  2. This morning I went to the website of Sanctuary Body Works to get an email address, so that I could ask about their acquisition of the church building and which came first, their company name or the acquisition of the building. I hope they respond. They have a curious tag line on their website: "Your body, our temple." OUR temple? Hmm, I should have asked about that, too. If they respond, I'll follow up and inquire about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To get back to the main subject of the piece, East European churches can amaze you. There is a German Catholic church in San Francisco's Tenderloin neighborhood whose interior is breathtaking. Built in the late 19th Century, the carved figurines and the painted details must have taken years to create and to maintain. I wandered in there during a lunch break in a conference at St. Vincent de Paul's headquarters, and it made my boring day worthwhile. No photos, alas, maybe another day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organized religion: there's an easy topic! One sorry side-effect of religious architecture, from cathedrals to mosques, is that it reinforces the inside/outside exclusivity of all religions, no matter how catholic or inclusive they profess to be. The doors may be open, but they are still doors. One thinks of John Lennon and "Imagine." At the same time, much religious architecture expresses (sometimes unconscious) metaphors of self-perception which can be insightful to experience. While many churches decry the demotion of these structures to secular status, the gift to all of us in restoring some of them to the common legacy is important, especially if the new use can benefit from, or perhaps heal, the complex messages of the place. Thanks for a lovely article Morris.

    ReplyDelete