Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Ask Wednesday: What would you do?

By Morris Dean

You've just filled up your gas tank at a service station. As you tear off your receipt to leave, you hear someone say, "Can you help us?"
    The driver of the sedan that has just pulled up to the nozzles beyond has lowered his window. He continues:
    "We're down here without enough money to get back home. What happened is, we came down here for me to meet my wife's parents."
    You bend down so you can see his wife. She sits impassively beside him and turns briefly from looking straight ahead to acknowledge that you are looking at her.
    "As you can see," he says, "we're a mixed-race marriage. And my wife hadn't told her parents that I'm black. Well, my wife's father told us that he didn't want to have anything to do with me and would we please leave right now."
    You are rapt at attention. You know that this sort of thing has happened many times, but this is the first time you've ever been told a first-hand account.
    "Well, what could we do?" he says. "We left. Unfortunately, I'd taken my coat off when we arrived , and I forgot to get it before we left."
    It's starting to make sense why they might need help.
    "When I realized that I'd left my wallet at my father-in-law's, we went back but he wouldn't let us in, and he wouldn't give me my coat back."
    Wow, this is a doozy.
    "I decided to call the sheriff and see whether a deputy could go back with me and try to get my coat. They said they'd send someone out. When he arrived, we all went up to the door, but my father-in-law still wouldn't give my coat back. And the deputy said that he was within his rights. I'd have to file a complaint at the courthouse and go through legal channels. That was going to take time, of course. And we needed to get back home."
    Here he pauses – you guess to assess whether you seem willing to help. You think you must still be in a state of mild shock at hearing his story. He is a very well-spoken man, he looks clean, they're driving a nice car. The only thing is that his wife seems somehow detached, maybe even sort of bored.
    He says, "I'm a college graduate, I served in the Marines, and I'll repay whatever you give us to help us get back home."
    In fact, he is wearing a cap with what looks like a college or university insignia on the front. Somehow, though, you aren't sure that you want to give this man your mailing address....


What would you do at this point?

Well, what I did was take my wallet back out of my pocket and fish out a five-dollar bill. I handed it over and said, "I'm going to give you $5, just for telling me such a good story. It's worth that much just to be able to tell my friends."
    I said, "Five dollars won't get you all the way home, but at least it'll get you to another service station where you can tell your story again to the next person."
    Still in character – and it might genuinely have been his character – he took the bill, and thanked me very much for my help, he appreciated it. He even said, "God bless you."
    I got back in my car, and as I drove off, I could see that he was now at the dispensing station seeming to be about to purchase some gas.


That was about five months ago. Last week, as I was coming out of Lowes Foods and about to get in my car, the man drove up again. Again a woman sat next to him and, again, I bent down to look across his arms on the steering wheel. It could have been the same woman. I think it was; she still seemed to be off somewhere else. The car seemed different, however, but I couldn't be sure about that – and so what anyway?
    He said: "Can you help us? We're looking for the Regency motel. Do you know where it is?"
    I'd never heard of a "Regency" motel in this area, and I told him so. And I said, "Didn't I give you $5 a few months ago? Are you trying to visit your in-laws again?"
    Still in character, he didn't skip a beat. He said, "I'm afraid that you must be confusing me with someone else."
    It's possible that I was. But I don't think so. In any case, his story was still worth $5.


Copyright © 2015 by Morris Dean

4 comments:

  1. I used to pick up people hitch hiking but it got to the point everyone you gave a ride to only wanted to hit you up for money. I know there are people out there that need rides and help and it is a shame, but I stopped giving anybody anything---or listening to some bullshit story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I wish it had been YOU that had just filled your tank when this guy drove up (and I was hovering nearby to overhear your interchange with him). He was SO SMOOTH, he might have had you going for a bit....

      Delete
  2. What a story! I was riveted. Unbelievably I had a similar situation years ago. I routinely pick up hitch-hikers. One day I picked up a guy on Hwy 40 who had an elaborate story about his wife being at Rex hospital with their 2 young boys who each had 3rd degree burns over the bottom half of their legs because of a house fire that happened 4 days prior. He wanted me to give him $20 (so his kids could get something to eat that night) and drop him off at a business park where he was going to meet a guy in 2 hours that he hoped had some construction work for him that was to start in a week.

    Of course I asked him a few questions. His answers never really added up but he was eager to show me a picture of his wife and two boys. I ended up dropping him off at the business park with a fresh $20 in his pocket. I was pretty sure I was getting taken (I even acknowledged that concern to him) but on the outside chance I wasn't, I went ahead with it. I told him I would be praying for him and his family.

    About 4 months later I picked him up again on Hwy 40. I knew he looked familiar but could not place him until he launched into his story. About mid-way through his spiel I asked him when he was going to get to the part where he showed me a picture of his wife and two boys. At that point he got fidgety and said he wasn't feeling well and thought it best if I let him out so he could get some air.

    As soon as he got out of the car he took off running in the opposite direction of traffic. For a split second I thought about chasing after him and then I thought what on earth for; what would I do when I caught up with him?! So I just drove off. I also prayed for him again. I still marvel at how surreal it was. Your situation brought it all back to me. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick, I am riveted by YOUR story. I guess it takes a personal experience of an elaborate "panhandling con" for another person's story of one to become spellbinding. Of course, our two stories have in common that we both ran into the con artist again. It was easier for "mine" to shove aside my recognition, since he was asking about a motel this time. I do wonder now where that may have been going to head, if I'd let it play.
          Thank you for your great story!
          By the way, I'd still like to read your master's thesis.

      Delete