Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 21, 2011

"Dirty books"

I listen to digitally recorded books I've downloaded from Braille and Audio Reading Download and saved on a USB "thumb drive"; I play them on a device lent me by the Library of Congress's National Library Service. Because I have over two dozen books stored on the thumb drive, it takes the player a few seconds to count them all and discover where I left off. It goes, "Beep...beep...beep...," then finally says, "Dirty books."
    Actually it says, "Thirty books," for that's how many I have saved on the drive at the moment. And, in fact, I don't consider any of them "dirty," although possibly some religious folks might do so. For the titles include books by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (highly critical of Islam) and Richard Dawkins (extolling Darwinian evolution).
    Anyway, that "dirty books" starts me off with a chuckle each time I turn the player on to continue reading. I can't think of any other number of books I'd rather have on my drive.

Note that clicking the photo takes you to a page on the NLS website where you can find out more about the National Library Service.
    I hope that someone reading today's post will be able to use this information, either for yourself or for a loved one.

6 comments:

  1. Did you notice that clicking the photo takes you to the NLS website, where you can find out more about the service? I hope that someone reading today's post will be able to use this information, either for her or himself or for a loved one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me confused. I thought I was on the wrong blog. Lots of green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upgrading and re-tooling one's blog is a messy procedure. It's brown now! And I haven't gone back to my template to restore my lists of books and movies, etc. It'll take a while, as I'm worn out now from the little I've done today!
        The archive is so much better. Now, if you click on a year/month, you see the titles of the posts for same. Cool. There are other neat gadgets to play with also....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're using the same template as I am for Prophecy, but with green instead of brown like I have. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, Steve, so I am [using the same template]! I hadn't realized it (yet myself). Cool. I put my sidebar sections onto "standalone pages." My old "sidebar table of contents" wasn't nearly as nice as the way the new format handles separate pages. I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and upgraded.
        I've been working on it "hard" for almost an hour. Now it's time for dinner. Good work (if I do say so myself).

    ReplyDelete