Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Taking myself too seriously?

The episode of my new blog pic and its attendant quotations (from an old friend and from Henry James—another old friend of a sort) led to my realizing that I seem to have been taking myself a bit too seriously lately (and for who knows how long before that).
    Horace Fletcher (1849-1919) was known as "The Great Masticator," and according to something I read somewhere, Henry James followed his prescription to swallow thirty-times before swallowing. Seems to me that you should follow the same advice when reading my blog (or maybe any blog).

And, in the process, I may have hit on a third new year's resolution, if resolving to take oneself less seriously isn't a self-contradiction. (I'm not sure that it isn't.)

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you castigating yourself, as the great masticator would have said?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Castigate (according to Merriam-Webster): "to subject to severe punishment, reproof, or criticism." While castigate bears a nice similarity to masticate, its emphasis far exceeds the mild self-criticism intended. I was simply chewing myself out a little, for the sake of better moral digestion.

    ReplyDelete