Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Formidable

Having quoted an old friend1 in my profile on the subject of my new blog pic (craquelured in Photoshop to resemble an old painting), I thought it would be well to display Merriam-Webster's definition of formidable:
  1. causing fear, dread, or apprehension
  2. having qualities that discourage approach or attack
  3. tending to inspire awe or wonder
A niece who commented on this and related self-portraits on my Facebook account seemed to be in with sense #1. She commented on the photos by quoting from the movie The Sixth Sense: "Be scared, be very scared...."

I don't know in what sense my friend intended the term. Senses #1 and #2 seem to me to derive from sense #3. (And, if the order of senses weren't descriptive rather than logical, Merriam-Webster might do well to renumber the list 2, 3, 1.)
    In French, the word is often used in a highly laudatory sense, and it is synonymous with
extraordinary, formidable, gigantic, huge, enormous, immense, colossal, horrible, tremendous, fantastic, wonderful, sensational, terrific, splendid, marvelous, super, mighty, smashing (fig.).
    But as About.com on the French language says on the subject of "Formidable (F) vs Formidable (E)," they're "almost opposite":
Formidable (F) is an interesting word, because it means great or terrific; almost the opposite of the English. Ce film est formidable! - This is a great movie!
Formidable (E) means dreadful or fearsome: The opposition is formidable - L'opposition est redoutable/effrayante.
Anyway, since, as I think, I bear a remarkable resemblance to Henry James2 (except that I'm less bald and fat), I don't mind the controversy.
_______________
  1. "Your new blog pic shows a formidable if not defiant person...."
  2. Who wrote [in the precise source I have not discovered]: "Experience is never limited, and it is never complete; it is an immense sensibility, a kind of huge spider-web of the finest silken threads suspended in the chamber of consciousness, and catching every air-borne particle in its tissue."

4 comments:

  1. I do see a vague resemblance, but James's constipation is not nearly as severe as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Noted.
        I believe that I did read in some biography or historical novel (that of either David Lodge or Colm Tóibín) that Henry suffered from constipation. I also read somewhere that he was a "Fletcherite." That is, he followed a contemporary named Horace Fletcher's prescription for chewing food a certain number of times before swallowing. According to Wikipedia, Fletcher was known as "The Great Masticator."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have hit upon an excellent quote to go with your profile picture: "Chew each mouthful 32 times before swallowing." That was Fletcher's recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I might switch it in, then. It is very funny.

    ReplyDelete