Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 2, 2006

Could this happen? Yes, theoretically...

The following letter, written by Gary Livacari—and appearing on TomPaine.com on December 1, 2006—posits a remarkable and "impossible" (but nevertheless intriguing) set of circumstances:
Re: Iraq’s Reality Bandwagon

In all sincerity, the only way out of this mess is if, in the face of continuing calls for Bush and Cheney's impeachment, they are convinced to resign for the good of the nation by the republican hierarchy. This would make Pelosi president and she would be under immense pressure from the left wing of her party to withdraw the troops immediately.
Obviously, this calls for a limerick. Give me a few minutes. I'll compose one while I'm installing a bathroom exhaust fan.

Ah! Better yet, you compose one. I'll insert it into this post later, along with the one (or more) I come up with.

12/7/2006. Inspired by Southern Writer (serving, I guess, as a sort of muse), I just wrote:
Hey now, wouldn't it be preziosi
If both Bush and his Bela Lugosi
    Resigned their post
    Or gave up the ghost
And the presidency fell to Pelosi?
And, now that I've gotten off the dime, Serena Joy has written:
It is a limerick, for true,
Bush and Cheny, Moristotle does rue.
    If they gave up the ghost,
    I'd propose a toast
To a whole new motley crew.
And I say:
Thanks, Serena, for the valiant entry,
To my own verse apt and complementary.
    May Bush and his pawn
    Forever be gone
And nevermore claim they're landed gentry.

5 comments:

  1. Inasmuch as I've finally gotten around to (like, an hour ago) starting Bob Woodward's new book, I suspect I will have some highly colorful commentary on the subject at hand in due course. 'Til then, I shall leave the limerick making to you. Um, could you hurry up? I could sort of use a giggle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could "hurry up," but I found myself mildly cursing my muse yesterday for utter noncompliance. However, I didn't finish that fan installation, so I'll try again today.

    I look forward to hearing what you have to say about the Woodward book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bush and Cheney resign? My heart be still!

    Sorry I can't do the limerick, but I suck at them. I only know one and it's dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Supposedly I could do the limerick, but I still haven't...but, now that you have given me this added impetus...

    Hey now, wouldn't it be preziosi
    If both Bush and his Bela Lugosi
        Resigned their post
        Or gave up the ghost
    And the presidency fell to Pelosi?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a limerick, for true,
    Bush and Cheny, Moristotle does rue.
    If they gave up the ghost,
    I'd propose a toast
    To a whole new motley crew.

    ReplyDelete