Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Witholding yourself

In Colm Tóibín's novel, The Master, Henry James is visiting his old friend, the wealthy Paul Bourget, an "unpleasantly rigid and authoritarian" anti-Semite:
Henry did everything he could, in the early days of his stay, not to discuss Zola or the Dreyfus case with Paul or Minnie Bourget or their guest, feeling that his own views on the matter would diverge from those of his hosts. His support for Zola and, indeed, for Dreyfus was sufficiently strong not to wish to hear the Bourgets' prejudices on the matter.
Note that Henry is confident that his "sufficiently strong" views are more or less the true ones, for the contrary views of the Bourgets he regards as "prejudices." Aren't we all like that? We think we know what's true about religion, or politics, or marriage, and the people whose views we don't "wish to hear" are bigots.

But Henry, his judgment of Bourget aside, seems to like the man well enough.
[Henry] knew Bourget, he felt, as though he had made him. He knew his nature and his culture, his race and his type, his vanity and his snobbery, his interest in ideas and his ambition. But these were small matters compared to the overall effect of the man, and the core of selfhood which he so easily revealed. This was richer and more likable and more complicated than anyone supposed.
I recognize that there's a lesson for me here. Over the past dozen years of partisan politics in this country (I'm going all the way back to the 1994 mid-term election), I've observed my tendency to write bigots off and grant them no hope of reprieve in my estimation. Fortunately, I have a few counterexamples of bigots with whom I have, for various reasons, nevertheless maintained friendships. The fact that I have been able to do that gives me hope to believe that I may grow past this shortsighted intolerance.

Tóibín continues:
In return for all Henry's attention, he knew, Bourget noticed nothing [emphasis mine]. His list of Henry's attributes, were he to make one, would be simple and clear and innacurate. He did not observe the concealed self, nor, Henry imagined, did the idea interest him. And this, as his stay with the Bourgets came to an end, pleased him. Remaining invisible, becoming skilled in the art of self-effacement, even to someone whom he had known so long, gave him satisfaction. It was not a deliberate strategy, but it was central to his very presence in a room or at a table. Those in his company could enjoy what he said, but most of the time they found a polite and polished blankness. He was ready to listen, always ready to do that, but not prepared to reveal the mind at work, the imagination, or the depth of feeling.
I much admire Henry's reserve, his ability to hang back in the shadows and observe without revealing himself.

Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I went to the first of the remaining two holiday parties I mentioned in a comment on my post on "holiday frivolity." While I did get into the "holiday spirit" at this one (and even had a quantity of the delicious food served there—too much for my gastro-intestinal comfort in the early hours this morning), I intentionally held back from expressing myself in a few instances. It wasn't that hard when I actually entertained the possibility of holding back, but for the most part I simply let myself go and be my usual spontaneous self. (Over the years I've tended to be a "life of the party" type.)

As for withholding myself in other things, no doubt it would be prudent, as well as respectful, if I didn't respond to even the most "evangelical" of Christmas greetings by saying something like:
I haven't celebrated Christmas or enjoyed the season for some years and have decided to quit pretending that I do. But to you who do truly celebrate it, I hope that you have a good one.
However, I've already responded this way to one person who came on strong with the "Jesus is our Savior" approach. Maybe I'll learn something from it.

6 comments:

  1. As you may know, but don't necessarily care, Jehovah's Witnesses don't celebrate Christmas. But if someone wishes me Merry Christmas, I don't launch into a litany of "wasn't born that day, birthday of the sun-god, etc, etc." I say "thanks."

    Incidentally, there is much to be said for someone who enjoys "Maigret's Pipe." And I've taken on Sam Harris in my own blog, though, alas, he outsells me, or at least I assume he does, since my sales are zero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I too usually just say thanks and let it go, and I know that that's the prudent and easy thing to do always. This is the first year I've "pushed back" against those who seem to press their "Merry Christmas" on me in a proselytizing way. My encounter with Harris has been one of the most important intellectual encounters I've had in years. It has helped me resolve some longstanding uncertainties and ambivalences. I'm now going through a period of adjustment of my beliefs—and behaviors, which I want to be congruent with them.

    It's also, so far as certain relatives go, a matter of announcing that I've "come out of the closet" as far as religion goes. I dislike to be patronized, and it's important to me that they know it's time to get off.

    Anyway, after I go through this period of adjustment, I'm sure that everything will become stable again.

    I went to your blog to try to find out what you mean by "taking on" Sam Harris, but I didn't see any mention of him in your most recent ten or so posts. I did see that you quote the Bible a lot and that you seem to be of the Jehovah's Witnesses persuasion. (I might have caught that from your comment, but I didn't.)

    By the way, I'm reading Harris's Letter to a Christian Nation, the sequel to The End of Faith. I take it that you will have counterarguments to show that he doesn't succeed in his effort "to demolish the intellectual and moral pretensions of Christianity in its most committed forms"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the two posts: http://carriertom.typepad.com/sheep_and_goats/2006/11/religion_is_a_s.html

    http://carriertom.typepad.com/sheep_and_goats/2006/11/dear_city_newsp.html

    My categories need revamping, I think, to make them more useful. They sprang up impromtu as I wrote, as they probably do with most people, but they're a little too cutesy and even I had trouble finding Sam again.

    Teh local alternative newspaper interviewed Mr Harris, who I'd never come across before, and the interivew unleashed a flood of follow-up mail, which probably happens everywhere he goes. Most of what he says about religion, per the article, I agree with, and I think JWs stake out a middle ground with regard to religion that makes them less toxic than those he writes about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, thanks for specifying the particular posts, which I just read. I have to admit I had no idea about the JWs' "Religion is a Snare and a Racket." I've always just lumped them in with other "religionists" and thought them wackier than most. I see now, thanks to you, that I need to check them out a little, if only in the interests of fairness—fairness not only to them but also to my own intellectual integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend has privately asked me to "please explain?" my remark to Tom Sheepandgoats: "My encounter with Harris has been one of the most important intellectual
    encounters I've had in years. It has helped me resolve some longstanding uncertainties and ambivalences."

    My uncertainties had to do with a couple of things. One was my going back and forth on certain tenets of Christianity, unable to decide whether or not I believed them. A part of me really wanted to believe, for example, that Jesus rose from the dead and thus gloriously proved that he could be our savior, but another part doubted it profoundly. The first part of myself was my understandable human longing for some assurance that I would not just die and be done with forever. But the second part was my thinking part, and Harris's book encouraged me to have some confidence in it.

    My second, more general uncertainty was my tendency to go along with cultural relativism, which protects different values and beliefs behind a barrier of "political correctness." It was actually this that drew me to Harris in the first place. The full-page ad I saw for The End of Faith (in The New York Times Book Review) emphasized Harris's call that we cease exempting religious dogma from criticism. That really struck a chord with me, given that radical Islamists had hijacked and run airplanes into the World Trade Center and that Christian fundamentalists in the United States were attempting to hijack our secular government.

    Harris's fundamental thesis is that values and beliefs are either true or not. They need to be subjected to criticism and debate so that we may advance our understanding of them. And, he argues, it is urgent that they be criticized, for "true believers" (whether they be Islamic suicide bombers or American abortion clinic bombers) may now acquire powerful explosive devices and biological weapons with which to wreck great havoc on life and limb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously doubt you would have learned much you hadn't heard before. Rigid ideologues never listen, they only talk.

    ReplyDelete