Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Holiday frivolity

My wife and I went to a party last weekend. The neighbors in a house behind ours (visible only during the defoliated time of the year) were throwing their annual "Holiday Party." The dining room table was groaning with plates piled high with food. Every wall and mantle on the first floor of their huge house (the house's floor space probably approaching 4,000 square feet) were decorated with ornaments of the season, whether the pagan Yuletide or Christmas, or even of Eid or Hanukka or Kwanzaa. I couldn't help but wonder where all of this stuff got stored the rest of the year.

Because we were among the first of scores of people eventually to arrive, we were able to hear and be heard by our hosts when they greeted us upon our arrival. But as the house filled up, conversation became less and less possible. Not that it mattered that much, in my opinion, so little of consequence that I could actually hear was uttered by anybody. We'd already had dinner and I avoid alcohol in the evening because it aggravates my acid reflux, so I didn't eat or drink anything. However, to keep it simple when we were leaving and our hostess asked me whether I'd had some food, I said, "Oh, yes, thanks!"

My sense of a wasted evening came back to me when I read the following passage in Colm Tóibín's novel, The Master. It's New Year's Day 1900. Henry James has as guests at Lamb House his brother William, William's wife Alice, and their daughter Peggy. Edmund Gosse, the English poet, author, and critic, comes to lunch.
Gosse arrived with small presents from London, and immediately declared that he was the happiest man in England now that he had quit the city, that it was a hateful place during the festive season, with far too frivolous a social life and an unspeakable fog, some of which had entered into the crania of the very best minds of his generation. [emphases mine]
Gosse's criticism of London is significant, for as Henry has already told Peggy, preparatory to the man's visit,
the main fact about Gosse is that he loves London more than he loves life. So when your father mentions the quiet intellectual life in Boston, he will not understand. The man who is tired of London is tired of life, that is his motto. So you, my dear girl, had better find a subject on which your father and our guest can agree.
I trust that my failure to appreciate the party in my neighborhood doesn't indicate that I'm "tired of life," but rather simply that I'm averse to a certain kind of mentally foggy frivolity. I guess it wouldn't be too unfair to refer to my attitude as, "Bah, humbug!"

Hmm, I wrote all that a couple of hours ago. Since then I've thought about it and just had a conversation with a colleague (in connection with another holiday party, next week) about how neither of us can remember people's names (or faces) as well anymore. "It's embarrassing." I'm wondering whether my growing disinclination to attend parties is a function of aging as much as of anything. I mean, maybe I used to be able to hear a conversation conducted in the middle of a frivolous party.

I'm sure that has something to do with it. Maybe aging even influences my tolerance for chit-chat (including chit-chat that I can hear perfectly well). Time speeds up as we get older (it really does seem to), so maybe we feel the need to use our time more wisely or productively than we would if were standing around listening to things we've already heard a million times...and saying things we've already said a few times too....

16 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why you went to the party. Nothing wrong with being in the Bah, Humbug spirit, lots of folks are, but it sounds as if you knew you wouldn't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I went because my wife didn't get to wear the clothes she'd arranged to wear at the wedding reception we didn't attend after all, and I promised her that we'd go to the neighbor's party so she could wear them. I even took photos of her in her finery, but they're still in the camera. Handsome woman, and I enjoy it when she enjoys herself. (There's a lot of truth to the old adage, "If my wife's happy, then I'm happy.")

    Afterwards I told her how I felt about the party and that I'd just as soon not attend two other parties we've been invited to (including the one now mentioned in the penultimate paragraph of the post). But she said she really thought we "ought" to go. (I think she may not be entirely sympathetic to the "bah, humbug" attitude.) So, since I "always" agree with my wife <smile>, I agreed to go.

    Hell, I may even get some more material for a post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy that. Our wives are important to us. If you go at least eat something so we can get a critique of the food, and have a glass of wine. Who knows? You may lose to Bah, in the Bah, humbug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that I could "get into the holiday spirit," if I really wanted to. Who knows? I might choose to do so at one or both of the two remaining parties. I almost always have, at the scores of parties I've attended over the years. I suspect that, as much as anything, I'm really just experimenting with the "bah, humbug" way of looking at things, just to see what it's like. It's actually pretty interesting. It's a more detached, observant place to be, the sort of place that Henry James seems to have enjoyed to inhabit, and in which he saw the things that he described so well in his novels and short stories. (I have another post coming up on this.)

    The food and drink thing is more serious perhaps. I really do feel better when I don't exploit my ability to eat more than most of the people around me.
    It's true, I really can outeat most everyone I've ever met. Of course, it helps that I have a very inefficient metabolism and most of the calories I consume don't incorporate themselves into my body.

    I'm not much of a drinker, though, and it doesn't take much alcohol to give me a very uncomfortable gasto-intestinal tract at about 3 a.m. Though I have experienced the delight of being half-drunk, I've enjoyed it less and less as I've "matured."

    Well, I see now that I'm bound to report on the next two parties! I'm excited already, thinking that in going to them I'll be on assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, but I wonder if you've ever considered the bah humbug attitude as one that places a burden on your host whose job it is to see that you have a nice time? Try to realize they've spent a lot of time and money, probably cleaned house for days, hauled all that stuff out of the attic, and invited you with the hope that you'd be entertained and enjoy all the hard work they went through on your behalf. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mori, my friend Bob has been posting political stuff lately and don't tell him I told you, but he has a very high IQ, so you two might get along famously. I'll bet you could have some very rousing debates with him.

    http://memphomaniac.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hear! Hear! I can empathise with you completely. I begged of from a similar 'celebration' this coming weekend for similar reasons. I told a mini-white lie and said I was tied up with other things, which is understandable at this time of the year. Well...it wasn't a bad lie...I'll be 'tied up' doing the things that I want to do...here alone...things that don't involve making conversation because I feel I have to do so, with people I don't really know that well. I enjoy my own company/space and am not into big parties these days. Had enough of all of that. I'm becoming more reclusive as I get older, I guess...but that's okay...it's the way I like it. When I entertain, it's usually a lunch with just a couple of other like-minded folk, where we can graze leisurely at the table while sipping on wine, conversing, debating and much laughter. I don't enjoy being one of the faceless in a crowded room of the faceless any more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate parties and will pretty much debase myself by lying about some excuse or another to avoid them. I'm not antisocial at all, and not lacking holiday spirit. It's just that -- I. Hate. Parties. They're crowded and noisy, some people drink too much and make complete pests of themselves, and I am abysmal at small talk and mingling. So far this season, there are only 2 (next week) that I can't get out of. I was actually delighted to have the flu last year, which gave me a legitimate excuse to miss all the parties. So, how strange am I? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Southern, I do in fact wonder what the hosts behind us are trying to achieve by their lavish annual party. Actually, I think it's the hostess who's trying to achieve something, as her husband has always looked out of place and uncomfortable, as though he were going along with his wife in having the party in the first place, the way I was this year in going because my wife wanted to.

    But while I don't feel that accepting the invitation obligates me to try to make sure that I truly enjoy the party, I do accept the responsibility of not being a "bad guest" in my observable behavior.

    This raises a more pertinent question for me, actually. The question of receiving Christmas cards and well wishes for Christmas, especially from family members who really, really believe that "the Lord" is their (and presumably my) Savior. How to respond?

    As I logged on this morning (moments before reading your comment), I was piecing together in my mind words to such a cousin as just indicated. "Thanks for your greetings, but I haven't for some years actually celebrated Christmas and this year I have decided not to pretend that I do. But, since it's important to you I hope that you have a happy one." Or some such thing.

    Obviously, I don't have to say that or anything else to my cousin and her husband. But, for some reason, this year I sort of want to "come out of the closet" (as it were). Maybe I'm tired of rolling over and playing dead for Christians who are more and more banding together to try to control legislation and public policy in this country. (This cousin's husband commented on a Catholic priest who was attacked and beaten up in Arizona while he was protesting Bush's invasion of Iraq, "He deserved it.")

    I'd appreciate your advice on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Southern, while it's true that when I was a teenager I suspected I was a genius, I very soon gave up that conceit and have observed with dismay over the years that my intelligence has steadily eroded, to the point that I can hardly remember a new telephone number anymore. Your friend Bob might appreciate not being thrown into the same category as me <smile>.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Serena, your general position is the one that I wanted to enjoy Saturday night, by not going to the neighbor's party, and wanted to enjoy with respect to the other two parties I mentioned (until my wife expressed the opinion that we "ought" to go, and Steve occasioned my deciding to go, but "as on assignment").

    I suspect that you actually have the ability (psychosomatically?) to make yourself sick again, just in time to avoid either of the two unmissable parties you've got coming up <smile>.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Which part did you want advice for, Mori? It wasn't clear. As for the rest of you who can't seem to get in the spirit, I hope you get exactly the holiday you wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The advice I said I'd appreciate, Southern, was on the question of my responding as I proposed I might ("Thanks for your [Merry Christmas] greetings, but I haven't for some years actually celebrated Christmas and this year I have decided not to pretend that I do. But, since it's important to you I hope that you have a happy one") to my cousin and her husband. Would I, for example (to paraphrase your comment) be "placing [an undeserved] burden on them, whose job [they seem to think] is to see that I have a nice [Christmas]"? (Her husband is the one who approved of the Catholic priest's being beaten up and even threatened with a gun for daring to defy Bush's invasion of Iraq, so you can see that I might feel particularly put upon to be evangelized by this pair.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Monday, December 18: Comment from a friend:

    What I was going to point out was that the season - Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza, Yuletide, or Sol Invictus
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_festivals#December) has a longer history and deeper roots than any one tradition. The solstice is hot wired into humans, we react to the diurnal and annual cycles more than rational folks would like to admit. It is a human necessity to admit the "dying of the light" but it is also quite human to put a spin of hope on it. So instead of your ("Thanks for your [Merry Christmas] greetings, but I haven't for some years actually celebrated Christmas and this year I have decided not to pretend that I do. But, since it's important to you I hope that you have a happy one") perhaps a simpler "Thanks and may the coming year be one of hope and peace for us all." http://www.oldnewbie.org/wpblog/?s=christmas+carol is twice yearly practice of mine for reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And I replied:

    Yes, both my wife and I relate to the dying of the light/renewal of the light, and we annually celebrate that by putting lights out in our yard, very comforting to come home to in the dark from work. And I do (now) agree about keeping responses to "merry" greetings short and simple.

    I think I've already worked through the need to "push back" against people I perceive as proselytizing. I hope so anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You seem to have worked it out, So glad I could help. (grin)

    ReplyDelete