Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 5, 2007

Quoting Walt Whitman

My "Youie" portrait was a quotation...

of the frontispiece engraving of Walt Whitman, age 37, for Leaves of Grass (steel engraving by Samuel Hollyer from a lost daguerreotype by Gabriel Harrison).
A couple of years earlier (1987) I'd heard a lecture by Joyce Carol Oates, at an Emily Dickinson conference in Chapel Hill, in which she'd said that "Dickinson, like Whitman and Rilke, was a poet of the soul." "Youie," I thought, was a revelation about soul.

4 comments:

  1. You should have grown a tailored chin beard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about my photo's not being exactly a "quotation." I had to content myself with a loose paraphrase because Youie was coming at me fast and furiously—much faster than my facial hair grows. Besides, I can't grow a tailored beard but must depend on scissors and razor <grin>.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever the provenance, I like it.

    Re the two photos, below -- how great is that?! I loved seeing the two side by side. Both are great shots.

    ReplyDelete