Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Ask Wednesday: Susan, what do you think about religion?

KT's prayer
Well....

By Susan C. Price

Susan, a number of different theological views have been expressed on Moristotle & Co. The editor in chief, for example, claims to be an atheist (or an aduotheist, if a recent proof was correct in proving that two gods exist or don’t exist). So does columnist Jim Rix (and so did the late contributing editor Tom Lowe).
    Columnist Chuck Smythe says he doesn’t know enough to go one way or the other, so he’s agnostic.

    Former contributing editor Paul Clark, aka motomynd, might be an agnostic too, but in comments here and there he has suggested that he tends to believe in some sort of sun, or nature god.
    Columnist Kyle Garza is a Christian and believes that the Bible has no errors in it.
    Contributing editor Ed Rogers seems open to the possibility of some sort of god – possibly maleficent – going by that strange story he told in July 2013 about the ouija board.
    I think you probably see where this is headed: what do YOU believe when it comes to god or gods, heaven, hell, that sort of thing?


Well
    Some people don’t care at all, i tune you ALL out when you really get into it. I only object to religion when it is used to hurt children and/or put someone down (women, blacks, poor, LGBT).
    It comforts me to believe that someone/something is in charge of all this beauty and nastiness (“Oh please sir, just tell me WHY?” i say as i die). But, i feel it is important to take responsibility for my life and my health and not expect any amount of prayer (doesn’t mean i don’t now and then, tho i try to be thankful more than pray for or agin some outcome) to change the situation. And sometimes, shit just happens – REAL bad stuff like ISIS and Boko Harum (tho, i suppose...they think of me/us as real bad stuff...hmmmm).
    I would love to be able to hang out with those who have died before me (i reject as fluffy all language like “passed,” “gone before,” etc.). Well, at least those i loved and miss. I would love to be able to at least watch what happens after i die. (“No, no, Kath, the bank books are in the other drawer! I TOLD you!!”)
    But i don’t really believe there is an afterlife.
    I do believe that this, what we’ve been lent for some amount of years (well, us lucky ones anyway), is pretty amazing. I look at a beautiful blue sky (often...it’s Southern California, yo!) and think wow, BEAUTIFUL and i am grateful that i have been given the gift of perceiving that atmosphere as blue, and blue as pleasing...it’s all in the wiring.
    I also don’t see how a solely male principal would have been able to conceive of the feminine mind (nor would he have been crazy enough to do so – “Honey, you STILL haven’t raked the lawn!”), and a feminine mind would certainly not have bothered to create a male mind...tho she certainly would have been capable of that level of imagination...or lack thereof...so if a GOD exists...it’s both.
    May the Force be with you and yours.

Oh, and I'm Jewish.


Copyright © 2015 by Susan C. Price

11 comments:

  1. Today we ask Susan C. Price what SHE thinks about things theological - topics she is usually silent about: God or gods, prayer, life after death, that sort of thing. THANKS FOR ANSWERING, SUSAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the record, I do not profess to be an atheist.
    Jim Rix

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I am sorry that I misconstrued things you have said, but I'm confused as to why you don't profess to "be an atheist." How would you put it?

      Delete
    2. When asked "Do you believe that God exists?" I ask "what do you mean by God?" My answer to their question depends upon their answer to my question. Therefore sometimes I am an atheist and sometimes I'm a believer. In general, I do not like to be labeled one thing or another especially when the label is ambiguous.

      Delete
    3. Excellent, Jim. That response goes right along with the various other "things" that you've said (and to which I referred). I was using something like the "God is the Theos of Creation and Salvation" answer to your interlocutor's question to conclude that you are an atheist. You do seem to be confirming that, at any rate. But I respect your preference not to be labeled. Also, I think it's true that you do not profess one position or another with respect to "God." Your professions seem confined to dietary principles. <smile>

      Delete
    4. I make no professions to label myself based upon my dietary choices either. When I first adopted a plant-based diet more than 15 years ago I referred to myself as a "vegan". However I soon found out that I was discussing more just what is a "vegan" rather than discussing the health benefits of a plant-based diet. I am neither "vegan" nor "vegetarian" but like all humans I am an "omnivore" who chooses (for health reasons) to eat a high-starch plant-based diet.

      Delete
    5. Ha, you may be too slippery for any label to stick to you! Thanks for the lesson in how to enrich discussion through favoring careful nuance over labels.

      Delete
    6. Ha, you may be too slippery for any label to stick to you! Thanks for the lesson in how to enrich discussion through favoring careful nuance over labels.

      Delete
  3. Well while I think "the Bible has no errors in it" is a bit of an enticing strawman in my description, but I really enjoyed Susan's commentary on the idea of gender confusion in God: funny concept :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle, I am sorry that "the Bible has no errors in it" strikes you as strawmanly. I didn't intend that result. How would you put it?

      Delete