Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Thor's Day: Elvis's sign from God

So strange it must be real

By Jim Rix

It is commonly known that Elvis was a religious man. What is not well known is the roll Josef Stalin played in cementing Elvis’s faith. Here in performance by Al Stewart is the story, “so strange it must be real.”



And here are the lyrics of Al Stewart’s song:
Elvis at the Wheel

There’s an independent bookstore
The last one that remains
All those others you might look for
Have been eaten by the chains
They soldier on
No one cleans the window panes

It was there I read the story
So strange it must be real
Of a car in Arizona
With Elvis at the wheel
He’s looking up
The sky has something to reveal

It is the face of Josef Stalin
That is formed by drifting clouds
Above the sleeping Memphis mafia
And unsuspecting cows

This is a sign from God! It’s plain
This is a sign that nothing he does for the rest of his life
Will be the same

It’s a medieval moment
A religious episode
He is shaking in his footsteps
On the dusty desert road
His entourage are looking nervous
And subdued

How must it be to feel such passion?
To be caught up in the thrall
In some unfathomable fashion
Like a pink and black St. Paul?

Look at those shining stars that fall
Look at that moon that doesn't know
whether to laugh or cry at it all
Copyright © 2015 by Jim Rix

11 comments:

  1. It was a sign from God, it was plain, a sign that nothing Elvis did for the rest of his life would be the same...[THANKS, JIM, FOR BRINGING THIS REVELATION FROM AL STEWART TO OUR ATTENTION.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And having listened to the song again, I've rather warmed up to it and enjoy it very much. Catchy tune, engagingly humorous. I believe you've been admirer of Stewart's work for, what?, at least 30 years?

      Delete
    2. Actually, it's been nearly 40 years ... I first heard "Year of the Cat" (Al's big big hit) in an nightclub in Lima, Peru in 1976 (I remember the year because it was the bi-centennial when I was cruising with the Oceanography Department of the University of Washington). Since then I have thoroughly enjoyed Al's wit, wisdom, insight, and humor of his rock 'n roll....You should treat you readership next to "Trains" to see what I mean.

      Delete
  2. As they used to rate songs on American Bandstand, I give it a 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'm too young to remember American Bandstand. Was a 9 rating high...or low?

      Delete
    2. Don't you love the Russian flair Al gives to his song?

      Delete
    3. By Russian "flare," do you mean the use of an image of Josef Stalin? No, can't say I love it; it just seems appropriately off-the-wall and non-sequiturish. As I said, catchy. It catches me. I like it.

      Delete
    4. After two hits from the percussion, does not the bass guitar establish a distinctly Russian tempo accentuated by the violin which carries on throughout the tune onto which Al Stewart’s voice (accompanied by his piano) tells this story “so strange it must be real”?

      And does not Al demonstrate his “flair” for music by juxtaposing guitar riffs (à la B.B. King) superbly rendered by Laurence Juber (the former lead guitarist for Paul McCartney’s Wings) with the Russian tempo?

      You might have to listen 6 or 8 times with 1 or 2 Jack and 7s before you are able to imagine Russian Cossacks dancing to this tune.

      Delete
    5. Jim, I'm going to try, I'm going to try - the 6 or 8 or more times I have to listen!
          Speaking of "flair," I am sorry for the "flare," which I think I actually believed at the time I'd seen (and I hadn't been drinking Jack or anything else).
          Still speaking of flair, you have a decided flair when it comes to music writing! And I am positively salivating now in the hope that you will indeed review this weekend's Al Stewart concert for Second Monday Music on March 9. Please! Please!

      Delete
  3. Moristotle! How can this be? You have chosen to air "Elvis at the Wheel" the very same week that Al Stewart is coming to town! That's right - I will be going to an Al Stewart concert this Saturday night ... A coincidence? I think not. It's another sign from God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WONDERFUL, and hallelujah! Zeus be praised. And I was in need of a music column for March 9. Perfect timing! Looking forward to your report of the concert (assuming that you accept this assignment).

      Delete