Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, June 4, 2010

Third day of 3-5

I was told Tuesday night, before retiring to bed in the sleep laboratory, that I might have the results of the study in three to five business days. It is just possible, then, that I might learn today whether and to what extent I might have a sleep disorder to explain my recent almost chronic fatigue. I hope I'm told; I don't envy a weekend still wondering.
    Contrary to my apprehension, sleeping with all of the electrodes taped or pasted to my body wasn't a problem. I could sleep on either side, as usual, and probably slept about as well (or ill) as I would have at home. Fortunately, there was no one there to take a photograph of me.
    There are four beds at the lab I used. The one other subject (or patient) who had been scheduled canceled, so the place was quiet and the technician told me more about the science and therapy of sleep than he might otherwise have done. I've doubtless forgotten more of the many things he told me than I remember. I wouldn't summarize everything anyway.

Sleep apnea is only one of many "sleep disorders." Wearing a CPAP mask (continuous positive airway pressure) is the most-used, because most effective remedy for sleep apnea. Other sufferers have been helped by one of several possible surgeries. The technician didn't mention singing lessons (that I remember).
    He told me that I am 150 pounds lighter than most of his subjects. It is almost a given that an obese person suffers from sleep apnea.
    In the morning I observed that the four bedroom doors are very close together. "Do your sleep subjects ever party?"
    "No. The only thing that goes on here is what can be billed to Medicare or other medical insurance."

Going out to a sleep lab is now my idea of the ideal evening activity. Unlike going to a party, the theater, or a concert, you aren't expected to stay awake.

2 comments:

  1. I now remember that Annie was "so bad" that the sleep center put a CPAP machine on her while she was there for testing! Seems like a good sign that you were not "that bad."
    I think I said Bill had sleep apnea but I think Mary is the third of the five that does, not Bill. Maybe the last time it was discussed was because Bill was being tested for it. I'll have to ask Matt is he can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technician Tuesday night told me that he occasionally has a subject whose not-breathing episodes are so frequent that he (the technician) puts a CPAP on the subject for the rest of the study.
        As an example of "frequent," he said 200 times an hour. (He may have been exaggerating for the sake of the point; I didn't ask him.)

    ReplyDelete