Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Monday, November 16, 2009

What's in it for you?

A close friend is telling me he can't see anything in it for me, believing that God doesn't exist and death is final.
I mean, you've thrown away a crutch used by hundreds of millions of people on Earth to salve their fears and griefs about dying. You've yanked off your neck a 2,000-year-old talisman for smoothing everything out and helping you believe that everything's going to turn out all right, your sexy young body restored and you reunited with loved ones. And for your remaining time on Earth, you've thrown away a top non-pharmaceutical remedy for getting high. How can you give all that up?
    Plus, you've made yourself a target for evangelicals who think you're ripe for plucking. I know that annoys you, despite the interesting posts their arguments have led to.
    And what about the awkward situations you've created for yourself over major American holidays? "Not celebrating Christmas—what's wrong with you?" I mean, after awhile, what do you say to that?
    Wouldn't it be easier to just go along with it all? God exists, hears and answers our prayers, gets one day a week and special holidays, the whole nine yards.
You mean, I should just fake it?
No, no, of course I didn't mean that. Faking it would just avoid some of the awkwardness, and maybe the evangelicals. You'd still have to anticipate death without a potion, you'd have to deal with the cracks in life without putty and a trowel.
Are you serious? I have to ask. I mean, even you who are asking me this seem to realize that I'd have to believe things that I'm convinced are almost certainly not true. You don't believe them yourself! How have you answered these questions?
<He turns slightly red and giggles nervously> Uh, well, you know, I...I get unsure at times and wonder....I wish that I could overcome my reservations and stop not believing....You know?
I'm still listening.
Okay, okay. Just tell me, then. Don't you sometimes want to just get it all over with, kill yourself? How do you remain mostly cheerful? How do you enjoy life?
Ah, so you've been thinking about ending it all! Why didn't you say so? What are friends for?

First of all, yes, of course, it's awkward sometime. Especially when you forget to be compassionate. But awkwardness is a relatively small thing, momentary.
    Second, if you don't believe because you can't delude yourself, what's to be gained from beating yourself up?
    Third, take pride in your brave, independent mind and your well-earned moral discernment. You're a man, my friend, and a good one.
    Fourth, nothing else has really changed from ceasing to believe the untrue. The universe is no less amazing—maybe seems even more wondrous. Earth is no less marvelous—maybe seems even more beautiful. And life here and now is more precious for its evanescence.
    Fifth and final, don't postpone the important stuff. Love. Be constructive. There's no hereafter for making amends for hurting others.

3 comments:

  1. Signing my name as Brother Morris, I asked a good friend with whom I agree to disagree what's in it for her, when it comes to her religious beliefs. Sister Kelley responded:

    The fear of hell....(whatever that is).
    The fact that God (aka Big Brother, as in "is watching") and somehow I are going to suffer for the "bad" things I have done in my life.
    I know....very...ah, well...Catholic responses.
    Also, I believe that I will see my dead relatives and family again.


    If anyone else would like to share "what's in it for you you," I'll display it here, without comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a dear friend of more than fifty years:

    I like your answer to your friend. As for me, I'm not in the least bothered by Christmas. The reality is that it's a pagan holiday in a pagan country that worships at the altar of the holy trinity of money, sentimental appearances, and militarism. I find that altar distasteful and will live with my own thoughts about the winter solstice. Your thoughts have helped me shape my own with more definition—I had these amorphous feelings moving around in my psyche and they have settled very nicely on what you have given voice to. And to that I would add love and friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant my offer above (in sharing Sister Kelley's statement). Anyone, believer or non-believer, who would like to share what you believe (or don't believe), you are invited to do so in a comment here. And tell us what's in it for you, if you'd like to try to put that into words.

    ReplyDelete