Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 27, 2012

Morris & Ken have made up

Ken is the good-looking one
Ken Marks and I have agreed that our friendship is too important to us not to get back onto speaking terms again. Look for Ken's comments once again on Moristotle.
    My wife had discovered on Monday that it was the birthday of my friend of about forty years, and she immediately called on me and Ken to "negotiate a peace," effectively offering her services as an interlocutor, if not as a full-fledged Switzerland-type intermediary. "Neither of you boys," she pointed out, "is getting any younger, and I would hate to see one of you die before restoring diplomatic relations with the other."     Good thought, and bless my dear wife for having it. She'd already communicated with Ken, who seemed to doubt seriously that I would agree to make peace without some serious mediation. But my wife's touching plea was already enough mediation for me, and I immediately agreed to a reconciliation.

Scourge [used to inflict severe
corporal punishment...on the back
–Wikipedia]
In case the break in relations escaped your notice, I'll just say that about seven weeks ago Ken and I defriended one another (as they say on Facebook). I won't report the personal aspects of it, except to say that I was now prepared not only to apologize publicly but also to flagellate myself with a scourge for any and all offenses I may have given, possibly using the instrument shown to the right—the instrument of choice among innumerable Roman Catholic self-mortifiers of their flesh down through the sad ages of the Christian religion.

Another contributor to Moristotle, who has already been told of Ken & Morris's refriending, says that this is really good news. "It will be nice to perhaps cross swords with him again."
    Moristotle looks forward to the recommencement of Ken's thoughtful comments.
    Welcome back, Ken!

9 comments:

  1. This is indeed a red-letter day. Morris and I are friends again, and I've been called "good-looking" (comparatively speaking, but I'll take it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red-letter day for me, too, Ken.
          And for my son as well, it seems; see his comment, below.

      Delete
  2. Cool! Have missed the acerbic wit. Since you guys are all happy now, do I get to be the curmudgeon for a while? Every good drama needs a bad guy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motomynd, you're quite welcome to have at a bit of curmudgery! I could use a respite from playing that role. I need a magical mystery tour for vacation.
          Thursday evening, a neighbor opened his door to me wearing a Che Guevara T-shirt with two images of Che. I told my neighbor (who is from Peru) that one of the images looked more like Paul McCartney. "Yes," he said, "Paul McCartney on the Sgt. Pepper album cover." Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

      Delete
    2. If you'd do that, Moto, I'd become a paying member of this blog.

      Delete
  3. It's a deal! And even though I don't have an official "bad guy" black hat please note that I do wear a black helmet.

    So...getting to my new role. My pre-teen stepdaughter and teenage niece get embroiled in much "friending" and "defriending" on Facebook. So should we now think of you and Moristotle being more in synch with that much younger generation than we would ever have otherwise imagined?

    Being a curmudgeon is going to be fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can't speak for Morris of course, but my actions spring from the best of motives. I endeavor always to preserve my personal dignity and nobility of character.

      Delete
    2. Motomynd, Ken might as well also have said (even if he can't really know) that my actions, too, spring from the best of motives. But I can't honestly say I have a great deal of either personal dignity or nobility of character to try to preserve, and I'm not confident that I do enough to hang onto what little character I have.
          Nevertheless, I'd prefer for you not to think of me as being in much sync with that younger generation, whose shallow preoccupations I find seriously unsettling.

      Delete