Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Frank awakening

Almost fifty years ago, in my college roommate Jim's home, in Pittsburgh, I picked up his parents' copy of My Life & Loves by Frank Harris (1856-1931). It could have been the same 1963 Grove Press edition that I borrowed this afternoon from a UNC library, for I no doubt went home with Jim that year, as I did every year I was at Yale. As a barely experienced 20-year-old, I of course pricked up to Harris's candid descriptions of his sex life. Now, at about the age of Harris when he was writing his memoir, while I can still manage a somewhat hard-on, I've at last picked up the book to read the whole thing (all 983 pages, if I peruse the index).

Actually, I'm reading a copy on tape from the Library for the Blind & Physically Handicapped. Last night, listening with ear phones so as not to attract the attention of my wife, I was struck by the following passage at the end of Chapter III, in which Harris depicts his boyhood reflections on the recent thrill of having copped a feel from the French maid Lucille:
It was the awakening of sex-life in me, I believe, that first revealed to me the beauty of inanimate nature.
    A night or two later I was ravished by a moon nearly at the full that flooded our playing field with ivory radiance, making the haystack in the corner a thing of supernal beauty.
    Why had I never before seen the wonder of the world, the sheer loveliness of nature all about me? From this time on I began to enjoy descriptions of scenery in the books I read, and began, too, to love landscapes in painting.
    Thank goodness!...From that day on I began to live an enchanted life, for at once I tried to see beauty everywhere, and at all times of day and night caught glimpses that ravished me with delight and turned my being into a hymn of praise and joy.
    Faith had left me, and with faith, I was as one in prison with an undetermined sentence; but now in a moment the prison had become a paradise, the walls of the actual had fallen away into frames of entrancing pictures. Dimly I became conscious that if this life were sordid and mean, petty and unpleasant, the fault was in myself and in my blindness. I began then for the first time to understand that I myself was a magician and could create my own fairyland....
    ...I find that I am outrunning my story and giving here a stage of thought and belief that only became mine much later; but the beginning of my individual soul-life was [the encounter with Lucille], that I had been blind to natural beauty and now could see; [that experience] was the root and germ, so to speak, of the later faith that guided all my mature life, filling me with courage and spilling over into hope and joy ineffable.... [p. 47]

No comments:

Post a Comment