Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fact or fiction

Some of my friends really like science fiction. They read it the way my wife reads murder mysteries, one after another, like a chain smoker. I've never cared for science fiction, although I too have read a number of murder mysteries, so it's not that I don't like to read fiction. I read a lot of fiction and have made numerous references to various authors on this blog (Ian McEwan, David Lodge, John Mortimer, John Le Carre, Philip Roth, and others).

Lately I've been wondering why I don't like science fiction. I think the reason is that real science (that is, the fact of science) is more interesting than fictional science ever could be. I don't think, though, that "mainstream" fiction is similarly less interesting than the real life on which it is based. Real life, though I enjoy it and think I have a handle on it, just doesn't hold together or coherently signify the way life can as presented by a competent fiction writer. A good novel or short story can reveal truths that we haven't discovered from actual experience. And the plots of our actual lives are just not as compelling as the plots on which most novels are built.

Religious fiction isn't a recognized category the way science fiction is, even if a writer named Tim LaHaye has published quite a few "Left Behind" novels in what might be described as the religious fantasy (or apocalyptic) genre. The very idea is revolting to me, but apparently LaHaye has millions of readers, who I suppose come mainly from the ranks of the religious. I'm not sure who readers of science fiction are, for the little science fiction I've read would seem to appeal more to people who like to fantasize than to people interested in actual science.

Anyway, it seems to me that "religious fiction" is redundant, for by being religious you're already involved in fiction, if not in outright fantasy, notwithstanding that the Bible and the Koran do contain a few factual statements. LaHaye has a huge potential readership already conditioned to fantasy of the religious variety.

4 comments:

  1. Normally religion is dodged in sci fi. Look at "Star Trek," where religion was consciously skirted because the founding genius insisted on it. As I understand it, Roddenberry specifically required that things religious and spiritual not be included in the series. I have a book of "Religious Sci Fi" at home, which is short stories. I think Arthur C. Clarke and some other writers turned their backs on the religious in their writings because it is "sheer superstition."

    I have played with the idea of pursuing what a missionary to another star system would be interested in and what the conflicts might be.

    I believe that good science fiction, like good fiction, has character development and a challenging plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last sentence, about "good science fiction," points out that characterization true to reality, along with a plot that is not only "challenging" but credible, could produce a work, "science fiction" or not, that I might be able to enjoy. I think that the science fiction that I've found unpalatable has been of the pulp variety, exploiting sensationalism and weirdness for the sake of vicarious thrills that haven't thrilled me in the least.

    Similarly, a work involving a religious missionary "to another star system" whose characterization was true to reality and whose plot was credible could conceivably be one that I could read with enjoyment, depending on how the religious assumptions were presented. That is, I don't think I could feel comfortable in a literary world where I would have to accept the assumptions in order turn the key. Another way of saying that might be that I would be unable to suspend my disbelief sufficiently to enter into such a world. The characters into whose heads I was expected to enter would need to have personal qualities I could warm up to, not least of which would be some significant doubt about the message they're traveling to promulgate.

    Have you written any scenes for such a work? Any estimates on the likelihood that you'll actually write it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kind of thing I have been thinking of is the missionary against bureaucracy/closed minds as she tries to minister to aliens. It could be a lot of fun. I have only an outline and am thinking of short stories. I have gotten and read a couple of "how to" write sci fi books, but so far I have done little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck as you find the time to concentrate on it!

    ReplyDelete