Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Vacation travelogues aren't my thing

Bulgaria Road Map
(click to enlarge)
My wife and I visited Bulgaria last month and I committed myself to providing photographic documentation of the trip (in a brief post featuring our lunch on the Black Sea).
    I apologize for the delay and any disappointment it may have caused you. But the sword hanging over my head has adversely affected me more than the delay has affected you. Every time (but two) that I've had the impulse to blog about something more congenial to myself than doing a trip report, I've suppressed it.
    The first exception led to a post dated May 22 ("Not to be completely mistaken") that I wouldn't have published in the first place if I hadn't been weak and delirious from having contracted whatever bug had traveled home with my wife. I took that ironically named post down a few days later, when I was capable of perceiving its delusiveness. The second was yesterday's, when I'd finally had enough and said the hell with it.

Not only had I contracted some bug or other (which may not have been a Bulgarian exclusive, given that I've talked to several people here who had also been sick, with similar symptoms—sore throat at first, sinus congestion five or six days later), but I was tired as usual from long-distance travel.
    And I was tired especially from the stress of being chauffeured at high speed on Bulgarian roads, seriously fearing impairment or death every time we came up close enough to a slower vehicle ahead of us to touch if we'd reached our hand out before we swerved left and rushed past the hapless vehicle, whose driver was probably wondering "What the hell!" even before we swerved back in ahead of it.
    Somehow, I couldn't relax entertaining the bloody image of being laid up in a hospital in some small town in Eastern Europe, or thinking of my mortal remains' being shipped back to the United States (my cremation insurance doesn't apply elsewhere).
    I was also set back by the daunting task of selecting and editing the large number of photographs from the trip (not to mention having to deal with my office in-box, overflowing with an unusually high number of transactions that had arrived while I was gone for more than a week and a half from my 40-hour-a-week job).
    Only last Saturday did I finally finish renaming the last few scores of photos and begin to re-size and select a few of the ones I might use. I was too tired and annoyed by the whole thing to publish anything Saturday or Sunday, then everyday life caught up with me again and here it is Wednesday (no, Thursday—I wrote the above yesterday). On Tuesday, I had decided, why couldn't I do a partial report, using a few of the photos I did re-size? Okay, sounded good.

I'm not going to attempt a running account to accompany the photos, but be content to provide a short caption for each (as I hope you will be content with the result).
    Travelogues aren't my thing. I didn't know what road we were on most of time, being focused as I was on trying to compose my thoughts before dying. I didn't take notes about this thing or that, or write down descriptions or impressions it might have made on me. I just took a photograph from time to time.
    I confess, travel itself is as little my thing as writing it up is. Leave me at home with my wife and Siegfried, and I'm content. If I want to know something about a place, I'll read someone else's account of it, especially (in the case of Bulgaria) the blog of an American musician there, which contributed to my wife's planning our trip.  The blog's January 10 post, "On the March: Keep Weapons Holstered," with its photograph of a park fence fashioned out of rifles, led to our visiting Sofia's Military Academy park with our grandson, who told us that the rifles had been used in the 1885 War of Bulgarian Reunification.
    I trust that the blog's role in motivating my wife to visit Bulgaria and take me with her isn't the reason our son hasn't posted anything to it after the day he learned that she had purchased our Lufthansa tickets.

All of the photos were made with my wife's Nikon Coolpix P-100. We left my heavier DSLR at home. (Times of the clock shown in some of the photos are according to Eastern Standard Time, seven hours earlier than local time; sorry I forgot to reset the camera. In fact, I hadn't noticed that the camera even put dates and times on its photographs. I might have been able to turn that feature off; I'll have to check this out.)
 
A Shop Salad, or salad in the style of the Shopska region
around Sofia (I ate many salads like this in
my nine days in Bulgaria, perhaps my favorite dish)

A private garden in the village of German
(pronounced with a hard g, as in "gerbil"),
near Sofia

A street in Shumen, which we visited on our way to Varna

In Shumen, we listened to two or three of the competing
violinists as they practiced with their piano accompanist

The small, family-run hotel we stayed in near Varna,
about a quarter-mile from the Black Sea


A donkey cart in a small town on the way from
Varna to Balchik (note the wooden wheels)

My ticket to the University Botanical Garden in Balchik

A poster map of the University Botanical Garden in Balchik

Hats off to the university
for this poster
(despite its English, reminiscent
of instructions for a Japanese
Mickey Mouse watch)

We saw many balls of mistletoe like this along the Black Sea;
these we spotted in the University Botanical Garden

Flower beds in the University Botanical Garden,
looking toward the Black Sea

The flower beds from the Black Sea

Tulips in the University Botanical Garden

More Tulips
(I took many more photos of them than I'm posting here)

A lizard our son spotted in the cactus garden

Front entrance of Restaurant Corona, where we had lunch

A poster describing Restaurant Corona
(or Crown Restaurant)

Down to Queen Marie's garden

A waterfall in the University Botanical Garden

A pregnant cat we came across in Queen Marie's garden

My wife squealed with delight
when she came upon this whimsy
in Queen Marie's garden

View from Queen Marie's palace

A Red Bud tree in Queen Marie's garden,
looking down from her palace

Another Red Bud tree
(or was it the same one?)

The Restaurant Corona from Queen Marie's palace
(brightened, near the center)

Religious icons and other objects
on sale near Queen Marie's Palace
(opportunities to buy icons
abound in Bulgaria)

A commercial icon as well
(read the small print in the image to the right);
our waiter let us take the glass home with us
The sequel is available under the title "Bulgaria travelogue concluded."

13 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the post and photos. I'm sure your description of your traveling experience was not pleasant, but it did give me a chuckle or two. It reminds me of the autobahns in Germany some years ago, before the laws got tougher on tailgating. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad this was so funny. Sorry you were scared you were going to die but you did a great job recounting the experience! I find the photo selection more than adequate, please do not feel you must resize more photos to satisfy your blog readers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures, Morris — especially the hairy tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Readers, I'm gratified by your kind responses, which I appreciate even more than I might be able to say (if I were lucky) on a good day.
        I've also received a private comment, which I enjoyed and think you will too: "So there is a reason all the best drivers in the world (Formula One racing) seem to come from Europe, eh?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morris:

    Thanks for sharing your Bulgarian odyssey with us.

    I looked for a picture of a church but I did not see one. I understand Orthodox Christianity is the major religion

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very orthodox indeed, Eastern.
        I did take two pictures (from within another botanical garden, in Sofia, a few days after Balchik) with the spires of Alexander Nevski Cathedral in the background. My wife and I had visited it (gone inside) in 1983, and I'd seen quite enough of it, thank you. She too. A gaudy, dark, foreboding place, seeming to portray religion as even more oppressive than the ancient Israelites did, with their prophets explaining why God was so horrible to them.
        I heard a good one yesterday: The morality of the Old Testament can be accurately captioned as the corporate dictum: "Beatings will continue until morale improves."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed it all very much ! The pictures are beautiful ! Thanks for sharing so much with this armchair traveler !
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome, Dean! And do read the sequel (posted yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and Dawn! Thank you, too! Today's your mother's birthday, isn't it? I need to call her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, I called her right after I made that comment. I said "Happy birthday," but she didn't let on (until she mentioned it later) that her birthday is actually tomorrow. So I just pretended that I was calling her a day early.
        She promised me that when she visits you next (or Sam), she'll ask you (or Sam) to show her my Bulgaria photographs. And I asked her to have you (or Sam) key in a comment from her, if she has one.
        So, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn, I just talked with your mother again, on the very day. I started out by saying that I hope she and your father had a happy Bastille Day yesterday, then I said that I was calling today to wish her a happy birthday. (I.e., I was trying to solidly establish that I do know when her birthday is and I was calling her yesterday because it was Bastille Day.)
        I joked with her that I dread the day when I call her two days in a row and she doesn't remember that I called her the day before. Then I added that I dread even more the day when I don't remember that I called her the day before.
        She said she'd heard about people like that.
        I told her I know someone who, whenever I talk with him, can't remember what I told him ten seconds ago. Then I remembered that yesterday was his birthday. Eighty-four years old, slightly younger than your father and older than your mother.
        Maybe I'll call him today too—after preparing myself for a rather repetitious conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, no, wait a minute! The eight-four-old in question's birthday is on July 13, not June 13. Saved by a month!

    ReplyDelete