Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Poetry & Portraits: Puzzle

Drawing by Susan C. Price

Puzzle
By Eric Meub

[Originally published on December 12, 2015]

I read too much. My second husband used
to make inspections of my bedside drawer,
then catch me at the sink: You’re fifty-four
for God’s sake, Marianne, why start on Proust?


When I was younger, I conceived my brain
as full of jigsaw puzzle holes to fill:
covalent bonds, debates about Free Will,
a life of Eleanor of Aquitaine.

It’s been more irrepressible an urge
than curiosity, for beauties lurk
behind the chaos, and some masterwork
I know so well must finally emerge.

I can’t quite give it up, although my hands
are full of pieces, and the puzzle just expands.


Copyright © 2015, 2020 by Susan C. Price & Eric Meub
Eric Meub, architect, lives and practices in Pasadena, the adopted brother of the artist, Susan C. Price. They respect, in their different ways, the line.

4 comments:

  1. The narrator of this knowing sonnet can say that again: “the puzzle just expands.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine poem for these times. As I used to tell my literature students (first career), poetry is the most powerful and economical of all written communication. It says more from A to B than any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say?

    Excellent writing, an excellent poem, just plain excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan even your simplest drawings indicate, intimate (or is imply the word I want?) SO much more than meets the eye at first. The eye jumps all about this one-is that another image? One of those reverse-the-perspective things? It gives the impression of suspicion, distrust, she seems to say "Don't pee down my leg and tell me it's raining!" And Eric, such a great concept, I realize I'm rather like that; I see a hole in my knowledge and I want to fill it. Ah, but one could NEVER be too old for Proust!

    ReplyDelete