Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Reflections on a Hugging Sestina

Photo by @MichelleEvansArt
By André Duvall

[Note from Moristotle: When I asked André to please read and comment on a sestina I had written, his response was so thoughtful I asked him for permission to share his response publicly. The sestina appeared yesterdayI wrote it in September of last year, the same month André wrote his reflections, and I presented it to Dennis & Jan Huggins in October.]

I wanted to wait to comment on your sestina until after I had time to re-read it slowly and savor it. I do believe it “approaches perfection,” as you yourself felt. What a wonderful tribute to your friends – I feel the poem is successful on many levels:
    Each of the six words takes on a different inflection, or a new meaning, or shows a different perspective, which is one of the potential manifestations of a sestina (and perhaps the finest ones do this). This technique is not always easy to demonstrate.
    I feel as if I know the Huggins quite well after reading your poem, in the sense that I feel their kindness, and that I would very much like meeting them.
    You tie their openness with the benefits experienced by the neighborhood. The poem has attractive anecdotes – the wood carving of numerals, the walks of their dog.
Elizabeth Bishop
    Thank you so much for sharing this. Your composition of a sestina comes at a very good time. Just last week, it was raining, during the last week of September. Lying in bed, my thoughts turned toward my favorite sestina, that of Elizabeth Bishop, the one I shared with you that was your own first encounter with the sestina form. It is titled “Sestina” and begins, “September rain falls on the house...” [See Moristotle’s very first posting about sestinas: “Persimmons in sestina (first stanza),” October 1, 2012.]
    The equinoctial tears – the almanac – the grandmother – the fading light as the days grow shorter – here we are in autumn!
    It is a glorious day here – crisp air, blue skies.
_______________
Editor’s Note: For André’s inspiration to me to write a sestina, I commend to readers one he wrote and we published back in 2013, titled, like Elizabeth Bishop’s, simply “Sestina.” At the end of it, I noted that
When we referenced Miller Williams’s Patterns of Poetry: An Encyclopedia of Forms on October 1, we failed to mention that though the lines of a sestina are usually of equal length, their lengths can vary, as André’s sestina illustrates. Even the lines of Elizabeth Bishop’s sestina, which was an inspiration to both André and me, are of unequal length, though they are very nearly equal (and much shorter than most of the lines in André’s poem).
Copyright © 2021 by André Duvall

3 comments:

  1. André, I am taking this opportunity to do something I very much want to do: THANK YOU for introducing me to the sestina verse form. Writing a sestina is a very fun thing to do.
        And I want to ask you a QUESTION:
        Yesterday I noticed that the final line of the Hugging Sestina (the third line of its envoi) does not include the word “garden.” I had forgotten my decision to let ours stand for “our garden” (and “our house”), to balance the Huggins’ garden and house, which had previously been referred to as theirs. I think this works, but I’m not sure. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received confirmation yesterday from Dennis Huggins that the final line in the October 4 posting of his & Jan’s sestina was a later version. It should not have been “as we hope ours does for her and Dennis,” but “as may our garden for her and Dennis,” and I added a correction note to the posting earlier today.
          While including the line-ending word “garden” in the envoi was more in literal keeping with the “rules,” I revised the final line to have just “ours,” because the original “our garden” didn’t seem to repay the Huggins “in kind” – their entering our garden for our entering their house? I rationalized “ours” as sort of standing for both garden and house. When I asked André what he thought, he replied:

      I suppose it depends on how “pure” to form you wish the sestina to be. My sestina that appeared on your blog several years ago took liberties with the free verse pattern of syllables and stresses, as opposed to Elizabeth Bishop’s sestina. But I can see why you changed the line to have simply “ours.”

          I was then able to see that simply “ours” could syntactically refer to “our life,” which (poetically) could refer to our garden, our house, and our walks all hopefully enriching the Huggins‘ life, for they have visited us in our garden and in our house, and we have talked with them while roundabout on our walks.
          But I would like to find an even better solution. A third version may be in gestation….
          On which thought, André commented encouragingly:

      Perhaps there is a third version out there that can use “garden” and “ours,” both to satisfaction!

      I really suspect there is; my muse is very cunning! I’ll plead with her….

      Delete
    2. Okay, four days later, I think I see how to “correct” the envoi, leaving the focus on being rewarded, not trying to segue to repaying Jan and Dennis:

      Running into Jan enriches our walks,
      and entering their house rewards our life,
      their inner/outer gardens, hers and Dennis’.

      Delete