Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, September 10, 2006

"The American's Creed"

This morning I came across the text of my eighth-grade graduation speech. Typed single-space on seventeen 3x5 cards, its opening paragraphs say that the graduating class has just recited "The American's Creed," written by William Tyler Page. [I later found out that Page wrote it in 1917 for a contest, which he won, in competition with over 3,000 other entrants.] The eighth-grader I was says he's privileged to speak on the second of the creed's two paragraphs: "I therefore believe it is my duty to my Country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws; to respect its Flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

This "American's Creed" didn't sound familiar to me now, so I looked it up on the web. The Daughters of the American Revolution page I consulted revealed a first paragraph that was familiar:
I believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed—a democracy in a republic, a sovereign nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable, established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.
The DAR informed me that Mr. Page described the creed as "a summing up, in one hundred words, of the basic principles of American political faith...as set forth in its greatest documents, its worthiest traditions, and by its greatest leaders."

I was rather shaken to read, a few cards, further on: "To me, the most heart-warming gesture of American youth takes place each morning when they place their right hand over their heart, stand at attention, and say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. When I think of what the Flag stands for, a thrill runs through my being."

When I wrote and delivered those words fifty years ago, I'm sure I must have meant them. I hadn't developed any of the cynicism that I subsequently learned from Watergate, El Salvador, Chile...the ascendancy of the ultra-partisan Republican Party. And especially from the reality that an overprivileged, underdeserving, intellectually challenged, morally hypocritical incompetent can occupy the White House.

Addressing Page's "respect for the Flag," the eighth-grader that I was goes on to describe what its colors stand for, what its stars and stripes signify. Then he lists the wars in which many paid a price in blood to defend the Flag from its enemies. Nearing the conclusion, he asks, "What is the greatest enemy of freedom-loving people of the world today?" His answer, in 1956, was, of course, communism.

And, fifty years later, I think I may have discovered why I feel such loathing and disgust for George W. Bush—the man who wraps himself in the Flag and desecrates language for partisan advantage while he savages our government of, by, and for the people to favor the superprivileged and sends the sons and daughters of the unprivileged off to die in a conflagration onto which he, out of ideological blindness and lack of understanding, smugly tossed the match.

1 comment:

  1. "Ooooooh," she sighs wistfully.

    I wish I had had the foresight to have saved such things of my own. Alas, they are gone forever. I do, however, vividly remember my mother and grandmother being petrified of communism. They went practically hysterical during the Cuban missile crisis.

    ReplyDelete