Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Open Letter to George W. Bush (vi)

I don't want to stay out here with you any longer, George. I heard you talking on your cell phone. They're coming to get me, aren't they?...now that the detainee treatment bill has been passed by your partisans in Congress and you have a statutory foundation "to identify enemies, imprison them indefinitely and interrogate them...beyond the reach of the full court reviews traditionally afforded criminal defendants and ordinary prisoners" ("Detainee Bill Shifts Power to President," by Scott Shane and Adam Liptak in this morning's New York Times).

It's a sad, sad day. And not only are these powers in the hands of a tyrant (I'm talking about you, George), but also you're going to try to smear those in Congress (mostly Democrats, and a few honorable Republicans) who voted against the bill on American Constitutional principles.

And I understand that your Turd Blossom has actually told some of your better-heeled partisans that an "October surprise" is to be expected. And, I suspect, if none of this works, there are also some November surprises already rigged in electronic voting machines....Will Mr. Diebold be helping you again?

So take one last look at me George, I'm about to vanish off this blasted island. I can't say where I'll be the next time you hear from me, if you ever do.

6 comments:

  1. Well, you tried, Mori, before you were forced to disappear from that desolate island. November will be interesting, no? Yell if you need help in the interim hiding out from Men In Black.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Serena. I've installed some lights in the yard so I can see them coming (maybe). Still don't carry, though. They'd just take it away from me, anyway.

    I do feel relieved to be off that island. Talking to Bush is so, so depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well, you're in good shape, then, with those new lights. They're scared of the light, you know -- exposes all their warts, boils, and forked tongues. You've held up much longer than I could have talking to Bush. I'd have been in a rubber room by now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend who suggested that "Bush is just a man" and that I should imagine myself on a desert island with him seemed himself to imagine that I (or anyone) could just "relate to Bush as a man."

    I may not have given the experiment a fair try, since I obviously had "an agenda," as Bush's press secretary says of Bob Woodward.

    Yes, I do have an agenda, and Bob Woodward [in his new book] has an agenda. His (and mine) are to expose some very bad stuff about George W. Bush and company. But that rather elementary (but skillful) put-down by Secretary Snow perfectly illustrates one level of "bad stuff" these guys get away with, distorting language to fool the gullible. (Alas, we have so many gullible in our country, people who just don't understand what we have in Bush.)

    Bush is said to be likable in person, the sort of guy you'd feel comfortable having a beer with. Well, to that I say: Ted Bundy was usually described as an educated, handsome, and charming young man.

    I don't compare Bush to a rapist lightly. The comparison arose when I was explaining to someone that I don't really care for Bush jokes. I said to him, "We don't joke about serial rapists, do we? And Bush is responsibile for so much more bad stuff than one of those guys. Therefore...."

    Could YOU have comfortably been alone on a desert island with Ted Bundy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To answer your friend succinctly, there are many people I'd enjoy having a beer with, clearing brush with, horseback riding with, or eating barbecue with. They're quite likeable, but are they qualified to lead a country? NO.

    I like the Bundy analogy. He maintained such a charming (and yes, likeable) facade that nobody had a clue about the demons within. You just never know. I'm not getting on any ships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SJ: See today's post: "Why Bush Jokes Are Not Funny." Good on you, by the way, to overflowing cup.

    ReplyDelete