Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, February 7, 2008

On "agnostic theism"

In last Saturday's post," I wrote of a friend who "holds the view that it wasn't possible to be an atheist before [Darwin's discovery of evolution]." Before Darwin, he seemed to contend, "God" was unavoidable in order to explain the existence of seemingly designed creatures [and we cannot avoid giving some explanation or other]. He has denied that at least two of my examples of ancient atheists (Diagoras and Anaxagoras) were really atheists. They were more likely agnostics, he countered. (He didn't say this about Critias, but relied on the historical evidence that Critias was such a bad guy that I should have been embarrassed to offer him in evidence in the first place.)

It occurred to me this morning that my friend's counter move might not help him. After all, I was thinking, agnostics don't believe in god either. So, how was saying that Diagoras and Anaxagoras were agnostics going to help his case? (In fact, he's more than once said that "agnostics are a dime a dozen.") Was he now going to say that, before Darwin, they couldn't have been agnostics either?

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. Agnosticism is a position on knowing ("gnosis"), not on believing. Just because someone holds that it isn't possible to know either that god exists or doesn't, he can still believe either way. In fact, believing in the former (that god exists) is formally known as agnostic theism. An agnostic theist is someone who (to quote the handy Wikipedia), "views that the truth value of certain claims, in particular the existence of god(s), is unknown or inherently unknowable but chooses to believe in God(s) in spite of this." [emphasis mine]

And, you're likely thinking, isn't agnostic atheism also possible? Indeed it is. Back to Wikipedia for a handy, fairly respectable-looking discussion:
One of the earliest explanations of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887-1888 (published in 1903 under the title "Agnosticism"):
The atheist may, however, be, and not unfrequently is, an agnostic. There is an agnostic atheism or atheistic agnosticism, and the combination of atheism with agnosticism which may be so named is not an uncommon one....

If a man has failed to find any good reason for believing that there is a God, it is perfectly natural and rational that he should not believe that there is a God; and if so, he is an atheist...if he goes farther, and, after an investigation into the nature and reach of human knowledge, ending in the conclusion that the existence of God is incapable of proof, cease to believe in it on the ground that he cannot know it to be true, he is an agnostic and also an atheist—an agnostic-atheist—an atheist because an agnostic...while, then, it is erroneous to identify agnosticism and atheism, it is equally erroneous so to separate them as if the one were exclusive of the other....
This discovery on my part might be as good an example as I could quickly find of the possibility that my friend and I, in discussing religion without any real expectation of changing the other's mind, might nevertheless gain a better understanding of each other's and our own positions. For I'm now inclined to think that I may more accurately label myself an agnostic atheist than an out-and-out atheist, for I have never claimed that I know there is no god, even though I think that there isn't and am comfortable in saying so. The Wikipedia article just quoted concludes: "Individuals may identify as agnostic atheists based on their knowledge of the philosophical concepts of epistemology, theory of justification, and Occam's razor." Those considerations do indeed play a crucial role in my disbelieving in god.

At this point, I'd like to express my gratitude to Tom Sheepandgoats (aka "Sheepandgoaticus") for engaging me in this discussion, whatever his reply on the merits of my objection to his argument.

As to his reply, he is free, of course, to try to argue that, before Darwin, only "knowing" theism1 and agnostic theism were possible; that is, that "knowing" atheism2 and agnostic atheism were not. (It could be quite interesting to see how he would try to justify that!)

Tom, of course, might find in Flint's clause, "If a man has failed to find any good reason for believing that there is a God," just the loophole through which to insert the supposed need to explain apparent design as the reason to believe that there is a god. But if he does so, he'll do it realizing that I'll come back once again with my question how deus ex machina is any more than "a contrived solution to an apparently insoluble difficulty"3 (to once again quote Webster's appropriate definition of the term).

I trust that we'll hear from Tom on this, and that he'll include an answer to the deus ex machina objection as well....
______________
  1. By which I mean theism that thinks it knows that god exits. Carl Jung, for example, said, "I don't believe God exists; I know it."
  2. Ditto, mutatis mutandis.
  3. The way turtles were once suggested. One version of the story is given in Stephen Hawking's 1988 book A Brief History of Time, which I read during the summer of 1989:
    A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's turtles all the way down!"

3 comments:

  1. I'll take this one instead, which is somewhere buried in the threads of your blog, and which you just resubmitted on mine:

    "How does positing a 'first cause' to explain the existence of apparently designed things actually explain anything?

    It doesn't.

    On the other hand, dismissing a first cause so as to continue research amounts to no more than moving the goalposts. Still we are led to things which are beyond our comprehension.

    Find me someone who can get his or her head around recent conclusions of quantum physics or relativity. At most you have a handful of people who can account for it mathematically, even while they acknowledge it that makes no "sense" whatsoever for visualization. And....c'mon Moristotle....if something can be explained only in such nebulous terms, can you really be satisfied that you've gotten to the bottom of it?

    So it's just a matter of "at which point do we confess our ignorance?" Because either path leads there.

    Besides, I reject the conclusion that acknowledging a first cause negates the need for more research. There is no "need" in any case. And I see no logical reason that today's researchers should feel it necessary to reject first cause. They do it for emotional reasons, as we've discussed before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I actually say that Diagoras was more likely agnostic than atheist? He's remembered in history as "Diagoras the Atheist," so I hope I didn't go too far out on a limb.

    My point was most of the men you presented can't be counted as slam-dunks for atheism. (I don't think I included Diagoras. He and Critias were the only two I did not contest) They may have been, but their Wikipedia entries seemed to indicate agnosticism was more likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess neither of us ever said that a discussion like this would always be easy and never frustrating....

    Yes, Tom (to comment on your first comment above, the one that begins "I'll take this one instead"), I've repeated that particular question more than once. It hasn't been easy trying to get you to answer it, and I'm not sure you've answered it now. Either you're too subtle for someone educated at George Bush's alma mater or...(I hesitate to say this) you may be playing some sort of shell game—you know, the one where you move three walnut shells about to try to hide the pea?

    I mean, if the deus you pull from the hat doesn't actually explain anything, then how can you simultaneously hold that it wasn't possible to disbelieve in god prior to evolution because god was needed to explain apparent design?

    I've never accepted the latter contention anyway (as you know) since there's nothing that requires a person to come up with an explanation for anything, notwithstanding that some people, of course, do seek explanations for "everything." It wasn't really necessary, in other words, for me to try to produce some documented atheists, even though I did so for the sake of exploring that avenue of discussion.

    So, can we agree to abandon that contention? Of course, people have always been free to disbelieve in god!

    It appears that you probably really do believe that god explains nothing. You appear to believe that that isn't god's purpose. I'm not sure you'd put it that way, though. That is, I don't think you'd agree that god serves a purpose, any more than you'd say that it explains anything.

    As to your other point (about getting to the bottom of things), I'd like first to see whether I understand it. Tell me whether this is a fair and accurate paraphrase: In order for an explanation to pass muster it must be something that an ordinary person can visualize and understand.

    Turning now to your second comment (the one beginning "Did I actually say...?"), it doesn't really matter now, does it?

    By the way, I take it you aren't an agnostic theist (since you'd hardly include yourself among the "dime a dozen" folks) . That leaves "knowing theist." Another question I've repeated a time or two is: How do you know?

    ReplyDelete