Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, January 8, 2010

Religion is...

One might think, from the item below, that Google is in bed with Sam Hawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins (and me). Have you ever keyed into a Google search box, for example, "Islam is"? Google helps with possible completions:


In fact, my friend Ken, who sent me the item yesterday as "an early birthday present" (I'm sixty-seven today) says:

I got the "[Religion] is..." graphic from a friend; I didn't do the googling and build the graphic. I doubt that it's genuine. The "now serving cowardliness" conclusion is certainly a tagline that Google would never use. On the other hand, I googled myself after enjoying the graphic and did find some of the listings. My guess is that a creative person did the searches, found some funny hits, and built on them.
    The tagline that Ken refers to makes Google out to be suggesting that people might be too cowardly to type for themselves the possible completions provided. (You know, afraid that God might strike them dead or an Islamic fundamentalist hack off their head to save Allah from lifting his little finger.)
    Would Google never use a tagline like that? Google seems pretty gutsy....
    Photographs of my wife's birthday cherry pie to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment