Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Glum for the holidays

In a moment of usual candor, I confessed to a friend that I'd often been glum lately.
    She asked why.
    "The Christmas holidays," probably. I do abhor them and not only them but what they signally represent, mankind's nostalgic slavery to sham tradition. That's the main reason, I think, that I abhor spectator sports. They and the holidays emphatically demonstrate the banality of so much of human life, with its parades, bowl games, and other forlorn rituals.

I'm grateful for a warm home, a dear wife, my daughter and son-in-law's visit, and Siegfried's companionship.

    And grateful for the beauty of flowers, even as they fade.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, like you, I could care LESS about spectator sports. The only time I pay attention to anything is SOMETIMES a brief few minutes watching a big tennis match…or (only once, this last time around—last year) nearly everything every eve & all weekend(s) of the Olympics in Beijing. (I only watched snippets of all past Olympics during my lifetime.)

    To me, sports are for DOING…not WATCHING. And I could care less that SO MANY PEOPLE WATCHING translates into lotsa conversation among all of them (please DON'T invole me! I always think)…& BIG BUCKS for "professional" (read: obsessed & have-nothing-better-to-do-with-their-lives) "players" (addictive sports-"pushers").

    HARUMPF!

    ReplyDelete