Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Thursday, June 7, 2012

First digiscopes of retirement

Uncropped (click to enlarge)
Ironically, having learned from Sam Harris that my free will is only an illusion, I was finally able within a few days of reading his book (Free Will) to get my act together and set up my digiscoping equipment for some bird photographs. My first subject was an obliging Mockingbird, who sat on a bird-feeder pole for as long as I needed for several dozen photos, from which I selected these eleven.











I'm grateful to Mr. Harris for providing ideas that, when added to the potpourri of ideas already ensconced in my synapses, led to my finally doing the first digiscoping of my retirement from UNC. However bereft we may be of actual free will, our lives can continue to provide the illusion that we have it so long as we continue to let new ideas into our heads.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know about the free will, but the shots are nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know about the free will either, but it's a fascinating subject, and I'm enjoying studying and reflecting on it. Keeps my brain whirring (and "me" alive).

      Delete
  2. Excellent shots, Morris. I especially like #4 and #6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two with mouth open, right? I selected those two photos for precisely that reason.

      Delete