Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Friday, June 15, 2012

Calling all voters

A comment about voter apathy on yesterday's post made me realize that my apathy toward making a donation to the political party I'm registered with might be interpreted as indicating that I'm also apathetic toward voting. I am not. I vote regularly and am proud of it, however frustrating it is to "lose." (I haven't kept a tally, but I suppose that I lose roughly half the time, which would be consistent with the typical motion of the pendulum back and forth between progressive and conservative, Democratic and Republican, in the United States.)
    The comment on yesterday's post cited low voter turnout. Almost as many eligible voters don't vote as do, sometimes more (especially in mid-term elections).
    Why doesn't everyone vote?
    Who knows for sure.
    Rather than focus on the reasons why not, I'd like to provide a reason why everyone should vote. My hope is that at least a few eligible voters who otherwise probably wouldn't vote in the next election will vote as a result of considering what I have to say:

First, money. Don't waste yours. Refuse to donate to political campaigns. Neither you nor I can buy anything politically. (I assume that no millionaires or billionaires are reading this.) We little people all have better uses for our money.
    If we take all of our money out of the campaign wars, the only money that will remain will be that of the rich people who almost own the country already anyway. Let them waste their money. We can at least get a chuckle out of that, and some satisfaction that we're shepherding our money better than they're shepherding theirs.

Second, the campaigns. Ignore them. Don't watch the advertising the aforementioned rich are paying for. That will add significantly to your sense of satisfaction. The joke will be on them. Bigger chuckle for you.

Third, the ballot. Using as good sources of information as you can (not the advertising) and consulting your own values, make a list of the candidates and the measures that you would like to see elected or passed. Some of the choices may be close; if so, study a little harder.

Fourth, election day. Follow Nike's advice and just go out and vote. Take your list with you. Ignore the "vote for" signs that are posted at least fifty feet away from the polls. Ignore the leaflets being thrust toward you as you approach the entrance.
    Vote early, get it over with. Take something to read, a Sudoku, a crossword puzzle, something to pass the time if you have to stand in line a while.  Don't think of the time as wasted (see number five).
    Then go about your life as usual.

Fifth, next day. Look at the election results. Enjoy knowing that because you and every other voter in America (who wasn't unavoidably detained) went to the polls yesterday and cast your informed votes (without being at all influenced by political advertising) the people have finally taken their country back.
    The joke on those who bought the advertising will be the biggest possible. Don't split your sides laughing. Don't let your satisfaction slip into smugness.
     Just be justifiably proud.

Wow! Doesn't that feel great!
    It's the revolution.
_______________
[Follow-up]

4 comments:

  1. Morris, I wholeheartedly endorse your five points, but we're still left with the question of why so many Americans don't vote. I think the answer is actually pretty simple: They know it doesn't really matter. The Dems and Reps have a lock on our politics; the winners will always come from one party or the other. Now ask: What has either done about an energy policy? What has either done about simple and equitable taxation? What has either done about gradual deficit reduction? What has either done about health care? (Well, the Dems passed a watered-down patchwork that will probably be killed or hacked up by the Supreme Court.) And foreign policy? Don't ask. So you see, flip a coin, or stay home and watch Dancing with the Stars. There's only one reason I can think of to vote: to feel good about yourself. That's right — it's not about the country; it's about you (and me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Ken, I think you're right. What a downer.
          Hey, I got some nice photos this morning of a hawk about 200 feet from my camera, and I'm all freshly inspired by your and Motomynd's interchange to go into Photoshop and look around a lot more than usual (and spend considerably more time than usual also, no doubt) to try to make something really nice of the best one or two photos.
          And I came "this close" to snapping the bird just as it was taking off (toward the camera!). I was snapping roughly every two seconds, which turned out to be about one second too late as it turned out. I'm encouraged to believe, though, that if I try again (and possibly again...and again), I'll eventually get what I just missed. Exciting.

      Delete
  2. Ken, Do you really believe the U.S. would have been as likely to have gone into Iraq if Al Gore had won Florida and been elected president instead of George W. Bush?

    Moristotle, Does your camera have a "power winder" setting that might allow it to fire six to ten frames in a second with one press of the shutter? If so that may greatly enhance your odds of catching more birds in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motomynd, unfortunately, my Coolpix P300 does not have anything like that. I love a "continuous release" setting on my Nikon D60, but I can't use it for digiscoping.

      Delete