Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

More Bush Mercenaries

Did you realize (I didn't) that Bush is using mercenaries to collect federal income taxes? I found it out by reading Paul Krugman's August 21 op-ed column¹ in the New York Times, "Tax Farmers, Mercenaries and Viceroys," which concludes: "This administration has thrown away centuries of lessons about how to make government work. No wonder it has failed at everything except fearmongering."

My friend Keith S. comments:
With all of these mercenaries that the US government is hiring, what will happen with them if the next administration shows a bit more sense and fires the lot of them? Will they meekly return to being shop clerks, factory workers, middle-level managers? I doubt it. This issue has been of some concern to me for over a year. It is frightening what they could do, and more than a few of them are capable of doing just about anything that would involve toting a gun and making a buck. The future has many problems. Many of which were created by our current administration's lack of intelligence (and by that I mean their stupidity, not their lack of information).
________________
1. Available on the web only to Times Select subscribers.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you'd stop making me go read this stuff, and just give it to me in a nutshell. You could be my news source if you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete