Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Persimmon Harvest

This weekend at my home was the persimmon harvest:

Persimmons in Total

The larger, shaplier persimmons are Hachiyas, the smaller, more pumpkin-colored persimmon is a Fuyu.

Compare the Fuyu with the Hachiya

The Fuyu tree yielded over 300 fruit last year, but after a severe pruning, it yielded only a single fruit this year. Ironically, I pruned the Hachiya tree even more severely, because it grows taller and I spent hours last year harvesting its 150 or so fruit.

Persimmons in the Sun with a Tape Measure

My wife and I agree that the Fuyu is a better tasting fruit than the prettier Hachiya. But still again this year, I will bake my traditional persimmon cakes and cookies for the other ten households on our cul-de-sac.

For recipes for persimmon puddings, cookies, cakes, pies, bread, jams, salads, fudge, butter, chutney, salsa, flans, filling, topping, yogurt, ice cream, gelatin, cheesecake,..., you could do worse than visit this web page from down under.

Here's the Hachiya tree right after leaf fall (a couple of weeks ago):

Hachiya Tree after Leaf Fall

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I didn't know you could bake with persimmons. I've always heard they're so sour they'll turn your mouth inside out; hence, I didn't even realize they were edible. I learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be speaking of green persimmons, or perhaps of natives—ones not cultivated for culinary delights! Actually, there are scores and scores of recipes calling for persimmons, even for persimmon ice cream. Puddings, cookies, cakes, pies, bread, jams, salads, fudge, butter, chutney, salsa, flans, filling, topping, yogurt, gelatin, cheesecake,...(recipes from down under).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tasted one. I'm with SJ ... I heard they'll make you pucker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds as though you and SJ may have identified a personal project for the season: slice a ripe persimmon and try it! And/or select a cookie recipe and do some baking. Drop cookies are the easiest (of course).

    ReplyDelete