Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

To be thought of

Ah, to be thought of! One of my correspondents wrote to me yesterday that:
As I waited this morning for the arrival of...at a nearby..., I read from The Proverbs 1:7-9:
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
This reading caused me to think of you.
Love, [signed]
And to be loved with such ardor (if this be not a curse1)!
_______________________
  1. The "chains about thy neck" image suggests slavery. Ironically, the quotation seems to characterize religion about right: the enslavement of those who accept and allow themselves to be ruled by religious dogma.

No comments:

Post a Comment